• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

The friends I'll be staying with were telling me last week (via Skype) that they had seen a stork billed kingfisher from the balcony of their apartment, so here's hoping!

Mike

Big Kingfishers are the ultimate sketcher's bird - superb shapes and plumages and they tend to pose long enough to get em' down. Some tricky bill curvatures to nail, though!
I, too wish I was going.

Russ

Thanks Arthur! I don't think I could miss Norfolk two years running, I'm sure we'll be back.

I've been trying to get out and about at the weekends to keep the old sketching muscles in training for Singapore. Had quite a nice session this weekend, mainly because the weather was decent for once!

There's a couple of photos on the blog and a bit of a write up but for now here's some of the sketches I did manage.

Mike

Attachments

• bo1.jpg
    bo1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 42
  • bo2.jpg
    bo2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 35
  • bo3.jpg
    bo3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 26
  • bo4.jpg
    bo4.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 42
  • bo5.jpg
    bo5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 27
Few more. At one point while she was flying past, the female barnie turned to look at me just like the duck in the opening titles to 'The Good life'. I couldn't resist the way the oystercatcher was tipping its head into the sun.

Mike

Attachments

• bo6.jpg
    bo6.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 48
  • bo7.jpg
    bo7.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 29
  • bo8.jpg
    bo8.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 43
  • bo9.jpg
    bo9.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 28
  • oik-port-sketch.jpg
    oik-port-sketch.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 43
Hi Woody,

great sketches! I like the oyster catcher very much. I saw one some days ago... 100 km far from the coast. Strange, isn't it?

Ulrike O:)

Cor - 1st pic 2nd row. There's some dynamic angles and perfectly described planes here. Could have been pulled straight from Busby's own sketchbook -no higher praise.

At one point while she was flying past, the female barnie turned to look at me just like the duck in the opening titles to 'The Good life'. I couldn't resist the way the oystercatcher was tipping its head into the sun.

Mike

And those two are the ones that strike me most, though I can't disagree with Tim's choice. Always a pleasure to see your sketches. They're completely full of life and the excitement of the moment.

The Barn Owl sketches are wonderful. Love the inquisitive glance image. They are so nocturnal that getting a chance to see and sketch one in any kind of light is a real treat. The pose of the oystercatcher is really nicely executed as well.

I love the volume you've got on the barnies, Mike. All achieved with a bit of line, a bit of shading and the minimum of fuss. Excellent work, sir.

Russ

I've been quiet on here recently; Been busy with preparations for the Singapore trip. I'm sure that I'll have some internet access while I'm away so I should be able to keep tabs on everyone's output. My sketchbook's blank, my pencils are sharp and my camera's battery is charged.

I'll have to leave this one 'til I get back but here's a wip of the latest.

See ya'll in a month.

Mike

Attachments

• rubble-wip.jpg
    rubble-wip.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back