• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (9 Viewers)

I'm actually quite worried about my upcoming Singapore trip, it's going to be a tough job trying to get own any of the local birds at all because I'm hoping that most of them will be entirely new to me!

Mike

I can understand this but my guess is that it won't take long before the excitement of being able to see and draw new birds outweighs everything else and your worries completely disappear.

I can understand this but my guess is that it won't take long before the excitement of being able to see and draw new birds outweighs everything else and your worries completely disappear.

Hope so!

I've been looking at photo lists of the birds of Singapore so hopefully I'll at least have some idea of what I'm looking at. I'm off on 29th July.

Mike

I'm actually quite worried about my upcoming Singapore trip, it's going to be a tough job trying to get own any of the local birds at all because I'm hoping that most of them will be entirely new to me!

I should be able to see European kingfishers though so at least I'll have something familiar!

Mike

good luck- hopefully yer kingfishers will look like this..

http://www.besgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/091101-Kfisher.jpg

Oooo - I'm getting all excited for you!!! - Bloody wish I was coming with you.

You're 'Wootton of the North' mate, Singapore might be a bit warmer and sunnier than you're used to! Otherwise I'd be happy to sneak you into a slimline suitcase and bring you along.

;)

Mike

You're 'Wootton of the North' mate, Singapore might be a bit warmer and sunnier than you're used to! Otherwise I'd be happy to sneak you into a slimline suitcase and bring you along.

;)

Mike
Not kidding mate - wherever I go it's blinkin' cold! Nice gesture re. the smuggling away; may just need a slightly differently designed suitcase than the 'slimline' one you refer to . . . one that's used to carrying a base-drum may be more useful.

cracking spoonbill sketches - I think the excitement of seeing it is the reason the sketches are so good and lively - no time to worry about whether it's accurate or not and so you have some sketches that ooze spoonbill essence with that big brute of a spoon - none of that reasonable-looking laboratory spatula crap that you sometimes see.

Have fun in Singapore - just don't try and smuggle chewing gum in!

Look what turned up at his old roost spot yesterday morning.

It was a brief sighting, he sat on his girder for the first sketch, got up and flew a circuit of the building, landed back in his spot for the second sketch then promptly beggared off East!

Hopefully they'll return for the winter having attempted to breed elsewhere and failed.

Mike

Attachments

• tiercel1.jpg
    tiercel1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 43
  • tiercel2.jpg
    tiercel2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 33
Cheers guys, gotta admit I love seeing 'em!

Just on a whim and an hour or so; An oik sitting on the remains of an old boat down by the Medway estuary.

A happy little sketch as the big projects don't seem to be happening for me the last couple of weeks. Ah well, to quote Les Mis; It'll come, it'll come, it'll come...

Mike

Attachments

• oik-on-a-whim.jpg
    oik-on-a-whim.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 57
Really like the oystercatcher, Mike! I'm rather jealous of you folks who seem to have oystercatchers turning up constantly. They require some effort for us to see, despite being quite near to the coast. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back