• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American birds (1 Viewer)

the "juv" barn swallow is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/breffni/sets/72157611179653696/

the other doubtful bird might be the peewee, though at the time i was sure heard it call...

The peewee could be an Eastern Phoebe -- more likely given the habitat, but I can't see enough of it to be sure. What time of year was it? Spring Phoebes don't normally show wing bars, but a fresh-plumaged bird will show "rusty" bars like the subject bird.

At the top of page 6, there's a young Northern Rough-winged Swallow labelled Tree Swallow (note breast colour).

Peter C.

The peewee could be an Eastern Phoebe -- more likely given the habitat, but I can't see enough of it to be sure. What time of year was it? Spring Phoebes don't normally show wing bars, but a fresh-plumaged bird will show "rusty" bars like the subject bird.

At the top of page 6, there's a young Northern Rough-winged Swallow labelled Tree Swallow (note breast colour).

Peter C.

Thanks - seen in June - id was partly based on call - though there were many birds calling at the time (early morning) - the habitat was woodland with open areas of grassland. Bird only used the fence momentarily to flycatch...

Aha - i think the mis-id'd tree swallow must be the mistake - thanks again! I guess that the juv barn swallow is good?

I can't quite find that pewee/phoebe of which you speak. Only ID I have found wrong so far is in your Charleston set... Laughing Gulls, not Franklin's Gulls.

Thanks - seen in June - id was partly based on call - though there were many birds calling at the time (early morning) - the habitat was woodland with open areas of grassland. Bird only used the fence momentarily to flycatch...

Well, I don't like to say much about birds that I wasn't present for ... especially if the call was part of the ID! But the posture, head shape, and wing bars all point towards phoebe for me.
(FYI Birderbf: Image is on the bottom row of page three of the overall listing).
Aha - i think the mis-id'd tree swallow must be the mistake - thanks again! I guess that the juv barn swallow is good?

I think the photo labelled juv. Barn Swallow is also a Rough-wing. Not as well marked as the first, but has that look about it.

Peter C.

The Goosander looks OK. One female with two male Red-breasted Mergansers. Nice photo of Hooded and Carrion Crows side by side!

The Goosander looks OK. One female with two male Red-breasted Mergansers. Nice photo of Hooded and Carrion Crows side by side!

When that goosander mama came rolling in i think the rb mergs thought they had died and gone to heaven. The hooded and carrion are a pair - they produce a motly crew of juvs every year.

I think the photo labelled juv. Barn Swallow is also a Rough-wing. Not as well marked as the first, but has that look about it.

Peter C.
Thanks i think you're right but any other candidates possible? and why does it have the reddish orange on the tips of wings? artifact of light?

Last edited:
Thanks i think you're right but any other candidates possible? and why does it have the reddish orange on the tips of wings? artifact of light?

Nope. Unmoulted juvvy coverts. Not sure, but NRWS may be the only NA swallow that has that colour in the juv.

Only other candidate (and it's not this) in the area that looks similar is good old Riparia riparia - the Sand Martin, a.k.a. Bank Swallow. I expect you'd recognize that one...

Peter C.

Nope. Unmoulted juvvy coverts. Not sure, but NRWS may be the only NA swallow that has that colour in the juv.

Only other candidate (and it's not this) in the area that looks similar is good old Riparia riparia - the Sand Martin, a.k.a. Bank Swallow. I expect you'd recognize that one...

Peter C.

Thanks - NRWS it must be then! Indeed i would know a riperia riperia - i have a few hundred nesting down the lane from my house...

any thoughts on the pewee/phoebe?

Attachments

• sandmartin juvs templetown end june 07.jpg
    sandmartin juvs templetown end june 07.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I agree with the duck IDs, Rough-winged Swallow, and Eastern Phoebe. Fences in fields are favorite perches for phoebes. Also note Eastern Wood-Pewees have bicolored beaks.

Agree with the others that this is an eastern phoebe. All dark bill, posture, dark head, habitat, and if you can remember, it was probably bobbing its tail repeatedly.

Scott

Thanks everyone - I suppose i'll have to wait until my next trip to get wood pewee!

Thanks everyone - I suppose i'll have to wait until my next trip to get wood pewee!

Here's how you do it, on your next trip across the pond: Early one morning, go find a woodlot - mixed hardwood is best - that's absolutely alive with mozzies. Walk into the middle of it, getting eaten alive in the process. Stop and wait quietly for a few minutes. :cat:

Almost inevitably* - in such a spot - you will, in those few minutes, hear something that says "pyuee-eeeer!" That's it. :t:

Now all you have to do (if you want a visual) is find a small olive thing, perched motionless in the dappled green shade, while fighting off clouds of mosquitoes - can be a challenge.

Cheers,
Peter C.

*(Note: provided you're here in late spring/early summer, that is.)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back