• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request id Bird of Prey - Egypt (2 Viewers)

Earnest lad

I spotted this bird by the roadside, 15th December 2023, and managed to fire off a few shots. I am very poor with raptors. I imagine it is a Buzzard species, although I am not certain. I understand the Steppe Buzzard is found in this area (Sharm El Sheikh) . To me this bird seems slimmer than a typical Buzzard one might see in the UK. However I could be wrong here. Could this be Steppe Buzzard please? Or maybe something else? Perhaps the photos don't permit conclusive id. I do have quite a few more photographs, but they are all similar. I didnt get a flight shot though.

Attachments

• D4-0345.JPG
    D4-0345.JPG
    932.7 KB · Views: 49
  • D4-0351.JPG
    D4-0351.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • D4-0357.JPG
    D4-0357.JPG
    857.6 KB · Views: 49
  • D4-0359.JPG
    D4-0359.JPG
    999.4 KB · Views: 54
Thank you for all comments. Notwithstanding the aforementioned points by Butty and tconzemi (as their knowledge and wisdom are respected- in contrast to mine), I found an image online of a putative LL Buzzard that seems to be almost identical to the bird I saw. I have juxtaposed that image with one of mine here. I was wondering if there might be food for thought here please?

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
yes, genetically cirtrensis is closer to Common Buzzard. still, both the OB and the one linked in #8 are young birds and they don't look like juv LLB at all, even taking in account the huge variability. Flight shots are badly needed, though, to make a call I think. The few cirtensis that I saw looked quite like nominate LLB, just more compact. I wonder if juv cirtensis can get this dark and red on coverts.

yes, genetically cirtrensis is closer to Common Buzzard. still, both the OB and the one linked in #8 are young birds and they don't look like juv LLB at all, even taking in account the huge variability. Flight shots are badly needed, though, to make a call I think. The few cirtensis that I saw looked quite like nominate LLB, just more compact. I wonder if juv cirtensis can get this dark and red on coverts.
Thank you so much for that helpful input. I feel I must leave this one as uncertain.

Thank you for all comments. Notwithstanding the aforementioned points by Butty and tconzemi (as their knowledge and wisdom are respected- in contrast to mine), I found an image online of a putative LL Buzzard that seems to be almost identical to the bird I saw. I have juxtaposed that image with one of mine here. I was wondering if there might be food for thought here please?
Could you add the source for that image on the right please?
Where and when was this bird photographed, and what is the URL to the original picture?

Hmmmm... Long-legged in Egypt should be cirtensis, even closer to Common; I start to doubt
Taxon cirtensis is now an allospecies (Buteo [buteo] cirtensis) of Common Buzzard, though with some rufinus ancestry, which perhaps explains the unfeathered legs (Jowers et al 2029). The distant ancestral population comprised buteo+vulpinus, which later melded with a rufinus ancestral population

CDNA call it 'Atlas Long-legged Buzzard', but perhaps 'North African Buzzard' is better.
MJB

Jowers, MJ, S Sánchez-Ramírez, S Lopes, I Karyakin, V Dombrovski, A, Qninba, T Valkenburg, N Onofre, N Ferrand, P Beja, L, Palma and R Godinho. 2019. Unravelling population processes over the Late Pleistocene driving contemporary genetic divergence in Palearctic Buzzards, Mol. Phyl. Gen. & Evol. doi: Redirecting

Taxon cirtensis is now an allospecies (Buteo [buteo] cirtensis) of Common Buzzard, though with some rufinus ancestry, which perhaps explains the unfeathered legs (Jowers et al 2029). The distant ancestral population comprised buteo+vulpinus, which later melded with a rufinus ancestral population

CDNA call it 'Atlas Long-legged Buzzard', but perhaps 'North African Buzzard' is better.
MJB

Jowers, MJ, S Sánchez-Ramírez, S Lopes, I Karyakin, V Dombrovski, A, Qninba, T Valkenburg, N Onofre, N Ferrand, P Beja, L, Palma and R Godinho. 2019. Unravelling population processes over the Late Pleistocene driving contemporary genetic divergence in Palearctic Buzzards, Mol. Phyl. Gen. & Evol. doi: Redirecting
Thank you :) Perhaps at a (much) later date, there may be an "armchair tick" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back