• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few impressions from Skärfläckans Dag (Avocet's Day) (1 Viewer)

looksharp65

Sweden
A few impressions from Skärfläckans Dag (Avocet's Day) at Getterön, Varberg, Sweden

First, let me try to explain my goals for the day.
The first was to sell my LowePro Photo Trekker Classic, which sadly gained no interest.
The second was to lay my hands on a number of different binoculars to get a first and general impression from them.

I also intended to try a Pentax XW10 on a PF65-EDAII but there was only an XW20.
The two eyepieces I regularly use are the BST Explorer Dual ED 12 mm and 18 mm.
The 8 mm is not good on the Pentax 65, so I would have liked to see what the scope would perform with the XW10.

Shortly, the XW20 has a wider AFOV of 70 degrees, compared to the Explorer's decent 60 degrees.
Color rendition is warmer and more vivid or sparkling than the Explorer.(similar to my Nikon MC zoom)
But considering the XW series is supposed to be among the world's finest eyepieces and the Explorers sell at £36,
the difference was quite small. However, I do expect the XW10 to press the most and best out of the scope.
The Explorer 8 mm simply does not do justice to it.

I also compared my standard setup, the 65 scope with the Explorer 12 mm (32,5x) to a PF-80ED with my 18 mm Explorer (28x)
Unfortunately I didn't have much time to assess the details, but the 65 held its own against its larger sibling.
Admittedly, this was not the ideal day for trying optics - the sun was shining very brightly and the air was saturated with pollen.

Like I said, I didn't have much time to get into details with the binoculars.
It was apparent that the Zeiss Victory models were brighter and more sparkling than the Conquests.
The 8x32 FL and 10x32 FL were in a class by themselves, being rugged and very compact as well as bright.
Especially the 10x32 caught my interest as it was usable with spectacles - not perfect but fine.
In contrast, the Swarowski EL 10x32 was useless for me, I estimate I could see about 50% of the FOV.
(Does anyone know what the Kowa Genesis/Prominar XD 10x33 is like?)
The Victory FL handled glare extremely well too. When I moved it towards the sun,
I made a guesstimation that if I turn it just a little bit more, I might be blinded for the next few days.

The Swaro ELs are beauties, but I didn't find out what way to make use of the thumb indents.
Another sad and peculiar thing with all of the Swarovskis I tried was that the focus knob was not smooth at all.
My impression was that it felt VERY cheap. Think of oiled plastic, rather than greased brass, so it moved with small "jumps".

The Swarovision 50's were two animals different from each other. Previous reports seem unanimous that they are equal.
Probably they are, optically spoken, but the 12x50 seemed to have much shorter eye relief,
and of course it was too hard to handhold it steadily. Thus, it's not meant for me.

But the 10x50 was...paradise. It was a bad decision to look through it and realize I will never own it.
It's like unhappy love.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the Kowa Genesis/Prominar XD 10x33 is like?

In respect of eye relief the Kowa is somewhere in between the Swaro and the Zeiss.

BTW Does the Spotted Crake still occur at the hide close to the visiting center at Getterön? Never saw one that close.

Steve

Jumpy, Sticky, Gritty, Rough Focussing Knobs

looksharp65,

I was interested to read your comments about the Swarovski ELs focussing knob.

Once or twice a year for the last 5 to 10 years I have picked up a pair of the latest alpha binoculars at a Field Day assuming they have to have fixed the nasty jumpy/gritty/rough focussing knobs by now, and so far I have been disappointed. That's why I am still using a pair of nearly 20 year-old Zeiss 10x42 BGAT. If Zeiss could manage a smooth focussing knob 20 (down to -40 C if I remember correctly ?) or more years ago you have to ask yourself why Swarovski can't do it today !

Regards

Mark

A few impressions from Skärfläckans Dag (Avocet's Day) at Getterön, Varberg, Sweden

First, let me try to explain my goals for the day.
The first was to sell my LowePro Photo Trekker Classic, which sadly gained no interest.
The second was to lay my hands on a number of different binoculars to get a first and general impression from them.

I also intended to try a Pentax XW10 on a PF65-EDAII but there was only an XW20.
The two eyepieces I regularly use are the BST Explorer Dual ED 12 mm and 18 mm.
The 8 mm is not good on the Pentax 65, so I would have liked to see what the scope would perform with the XW10.

Shortly, the XW20 has a wider AFOV of 70 degrees, compared to the Explorer's decent 60 degrees.
Color rendition is warmer and more vivid or sparkling than the Explorer.(similar to my Nikon MC zoom)
But considering the XW series is supposed to be among the world's finest eyepieces and the Explorers sell at £36,
the difference was quite small. However, I do expect the XW10 to press the most and best out of the scope.
The Explorer 8 mm simply does not do justice to it.

I also compared my standard setup, the 65 scope with the Explorer 12 mm (32,5x) to a PF-80ED with my 18 mm Explorer (28x)
Unfortunately I didn't have much time to assess the details, but the 65 held its own against its larger sibling.
Admittedly, this was not the ideal day for trying optics - the sun was shining very brightly and the air was saturated with pollen.

Like I said, I didn't have much time to get into details with the binoculars.
It was apparent that the Zeiss Victory models were brighter and more sparkling than the Conquests.
The 8x32 FL and 10x32 FL were in a class by themselves, being rugged and very compact as well as bright.
Especially the 10x32 caught my interest as it was usable with spectacles - not perfect but fine.
In contrast, the Swarowski EL 10x32 was useless for me, I estimate I could see about 50% of the FOV.
(Does anyone know what the Kowa Genesis/Prominar XD 10x33 is like?)
The Victory FL handled glare extremely well too. When I moved it towards the sun,
I made a guesstimation that if I turn it just a little bit more, I might be blinded for the next few days.

The Swaro ELs are beauties, but I didn't find out what way to make use of the thumb indents.
Another sad and peculiar thing with all of the Swarovskis I tried was that the focus knob was not smooth at all.
My impression was that it felt VERY cheap. Think of oiled plastic, rather than greased brass, so it moved with small "jumps".

The Swarovision 50's were two animals different from each other. Previous reports seem unanimous that they are equal.
Probably they are, optically spoken, but the 12x50 seemed to have much shorter eye relief,
and of course it was too hard to handhold it steadily. Thus, it's not meant for me.

But the 10x50 was...paradise. It was a bad decision to look through it and realize I will never own it.
It's like unhappy love.

You thought the ER was lacking?, strange i thought quite the opposite.
And regarding the focus wheel, honestly my 12x version has the smoothest no question about it of any Swarovski i own, and i own a few.
It has a wonderfully smooth as silk and even feel to it, in either direction, and honestly it only needs a light touch to turn, with absolutely no flatspots whatsoever, not unlike other Swaro's which seem to have a little resistance when going in the reverse direction.
Although conversely when i tried the 10x, that did have the resistance in the focus wheel?.

I will agree with you though on one thing, one look and your hooked.
Beg, borrow or steal, you just have to have one...

Of course maybe i'm just biased ;)

In respect of eye relief the Kowa is somewhere in between the Swaro and the Zeiss.

BTW Does the Spotted Crake still occur at the hide close to the visiting center at Getterön? Never saw one that close.

Steve

Thanks Steve, now I can forget the Kowa. OTOH, the Victory FL should be tried against the EDG. But I really liked the Zeiss. |^|

The Spotted Crake has been seen once this year at Getterön, but last year it was very exhibitionistic (for a Spotted Crake, that is) and was seen by lots of people.

You thought the ER was lacking?, strange i thought quite the opposite.
And regarding the focus wheel, honestly my 12x version has the smoothest no question about it of any Swarovski i own, and i own a few.
It has a wonderfully smooth as silk and even feel to it, in either direction, and honestly it only needs a light touch to turn, with absolutely no flatspots whatsoever, not unlike other Swaro's which seem to have a little resistance when going in the reverse direction.
Although conversely when i tried the 10x, that did have the resistance in the focus wheel?.

I will agree with you though on one thing, one look and your hooked.
Beg, borrow or steal, you just have to have one...

Of course maybe i'm just biased ;)

You know, first impression counts, and the knobs were not really top notch. But perhaps they get better after a few weeks of use?
Yes, the 12x50 didn't have enough eye relief. I wear spectacles, you see.
But the 10x50 alone was good enough to cover that blemish of the 12x50.
And the same was true for the 32 series- the 8x32 was very nice and the view was quite easy and comfortable. The 10x32 not so.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back