• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vectis Birder's sketchbook 2007 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Alan. There's only so much a person can take and I'd had it up to *here* with it, and the rude customer/disciplinary was the last straw.
Anyhow, out sketching tomorrow, the weather forecast for here is good and the dear birds are waiting!

Good on you ,VB . As one window closes , another opens. make the most of your choices draw every day if you can . another opportunity will
present itself.

So I take a family holiday for 3 days and THIS happens!!!!
F - you have made a once in a lifetime decision (not the leaving of a job - but the leaving of a job BECAUSE you see something else waiting for you).
Now I will NOT let up on you - you cannot take a gap year, you aren't entitled to dole (left of your own accord), you have no sabbatical to cherish. So go on now - go and make art, make words, make photos - but do it with everything you have. Crap days are crap days - we all have them. Dismiss them with more creativity and aim as high as you can - momentum is the word!
Luck!

So go on now - go and make art, make words, make photos - but do it with everything you have. Crap days are crap days - we all have them. Dismiss them with more creativity and aim as high as you can - momentum is the word!
Luck!

Write that down and take it with you young Vectis, and best of luck to ya:t:

Matt

Been out sketching, results will be posted later, when I dig my scanner out of the pile of clutter it's lurking under.
Thanks for the words, Tim (I'm not entitled to dole anyway, got a wee income that sees to that), so I will 'go forth' and see what comes of it.

And, here is the result of a much-interrupted hour's sketching. The hide was full of (non-birder) holidaymakers and I spent a lot of time showing them birds through my scope. Not that I begrudge that, of course, quite enjoyed it actually, but I didn't get a lot done, certainly not as much as I'd have liked.
I'm happy with the poses, but not with the plumage detail.

Attachments

• wader_sketch.jpg
    wader_sketch.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 76
Well, after this week I should have more time for sketching and painting. I have handed my notice in at work (one month), but am also looking at the boot for allegedly being rude to a customer (I wasn't, he was being a pr!ck, so I just politely asked him to show a little more courtesy so he complained!). I'm going temping until I can go travelling, so there should be plenty of time for sketching. o:D

Customers are made for being rude to. They like it ...believe me, I have insulted customers all my life, only the ones who deserved it,much to my wifes embarrasment. My attitude in business was always to treat the customers the way they treated me or my staff. Anyway good luck Vectis, I hope you find what you want.

Good to see you enjoying your freedom, don't worry about plumage details - sketchings mainly for the poses, shadows and reflections, plumage details are where photos come into it. Not fair, I want greenshanks to draw!

And, here is the result of a much-interrupted hour's sketching. The hide was full of (non-birder) holidaymakers and I spent a lot of time showing them birds through my scope. Not that I begrudge that, of course, quite enjoyed it actually, but I didn't get a lot done, certainly not as much as I'd have liked.
I'm happy with the poses, but not with the plumage detail.

Vectis, I reckon these are fantastic.

Everything is where it's supposed to, really nice work! Are you going to paint them up?

Matt

Thanks guys. Here at home, it was a bit quieter, of course, so here is a Jackdaw for your appraisal:

Attachments

• jackdaw_sketch.jpg
    jackdaw_sketch.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 92
I'm a huge fan of jackdaws, you've given them a great deal of quirkiness, just the way they are. Must remember to sketch some jackdaws when I'm back in Wales this summer.

Ya know what I love about this sketching lark? It's that it makes you watch the most common birds and see great things in them, especially 'personalities' of different species - those jackdaws are FAB! (sorry typed 'rooks' by mistake - it's because I was out sketching crows this evening!!) LOL - just realised I was right the first time, was looking initially at the rooks on page 1! They're all FAB ;)

Last edited:
These are great - you've captured the character. I love them as well. Did some a year or so ago - will post if I can find them. I really want to do some ravens but not sure how to get close to them and haven,t managed any photos .

Terrific work VB, another fan of jackdaws here! The right hand bird is particularly successful. Keep it up!

Woody

These were done today, but the colour was added at home from memory. Not happy with these at all, I have to say, well, not the painted efforts at all.

Attachments

• oystercatcher_fldsk.jpg
    oystercatcher_fldsk.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 79
you shouldn't be unhappy with these at all, though I suppose I'm biased as I'd give my eye teeth to sketch some oystercatchers (rare vagrant here). Is it the black paint you don't like perhaps? Some excellent sketching of some excellent birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back