• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Shelduck flight (1 Viewer)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
Not really studied the flight of a shelduck before, so when I saw one fly fairly low over the garden with an incredibly rapid flapping action it threw me. 99.9% sure that I have a new garden tick. Never seen one in East Cheshire before so could just do with clarification of rapid flight of this species. Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what the question is... I live near Slimbridge... so I'm seeing a lot of Shelduck at the moment.. Yes they are rapid flyers and they are seen flying low regularly.. They tend to have very short rapid wing beats.. I wouldn't describe it as flapping.. The most identifying characteristic is simply their striking colouration..

I'm not sure what the question is... I live near Slimbridge... so I'm seeing a lot of Shelduck at the moment.. Yes they are rapid flyers and they are seen flying low regularly.. They tend to have very short rapid wing beats.. I wouldn't describe it as flapping.. The most identifying characteristic is simply their striking colouration..

Cheers, you have described the wing beat better than I did, and answered my question as well. Never seen one in this area before so just wanted clarification on its "wing beats". I was happy with the visual I'd as it flew over.

Thanks for your reply

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back