• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Redpoll or Lesser Redpoll ID Please (1 Viewer)

riggers

I have never seen a Redpoll before as I am new to birdwatching. Can you please tell me if this is a Lesser Redpoll or a Common Redpoll. I saw it today in my neighbours garden in Snowdonia, Wales, U.K. Thank you so much for your help šŸ˜

Attachments

• 14D2F881-6B3B-47D8-9144-77B75D28F961.jpeg
    14D2F881-6B3B-47D8-9144-77B75D28F961.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • 284A3F91-E8B2-48B5-B3D6-783CCF89AC67.jpeg
    284A3F91-E8B2-48B5-B3D6-783CCF89AC67.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
I think the evidence is they're best treated as forms (i.e. not even subspecies), but if not that then subspecies. We can see this in some of the photos people post: there's clearly a bit of a cline going on, especially for "arctic" redpolls---the photos often show a mix of characters

. . . and - as ever - there is no 'officially': you pays yer money and takes yer choice. If you think you can spot a received/mainstream view, and if you happen to like mainstream views, go for it. Personally, they always have been, and remain, 'redpoll'.

Personally I have always called Lesser as Common as it is more 'common' and Mealy as the less common subspecies as it is 'scarcer' - back to the drawing board.....

What about a straw poll;)

Laurie -

The only thing ā€œofficialā€ about Redpolls is speculation!
If you look at the images of the two birds on the feeder you should see two completely different birds, the choice might appear to be down to the individualā€¦.lump or split.
As far as Iā€™m concerned regarding my images, bird on the left is Lesser and bird on the right is (and Iā€™ll name it) Sub Arctic Redpollā€¦.because it looks nothing like the other birdā€¦and I donā€™t give a fig, whether they can hybridise or not.šŸ‘

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back