• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Horrid, horrid day! (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

Well, slight exaggeration - it turned out not too bad in the end.

On the recommendation of Tom McKinney, following my request for any recent info on Coombes Valley RSPB reserve, we had a little tour around Staffordshire - an area unfamiliar to us. The weather didn't look too promising and we almost didn't go, but we thought that maybe it would be better at our destination..... WRONG! At least I gave my new BF cap a good christening.

First stop was Dane Bower Quarry where the first bird we saw on stepping out of the car in the layby was a Ring Ouzel. A very fleeting glimpse, but there all the same. The sky looked a very unattractive shade of black, so we donned the waterproofs and headed down the path to the grassy knoll area where it was a bit more sheltered from the wind. We stuck it out for 15 minutes or so, seeing only a Meadow Pipit, and then headed back to the car. On the way back a couple of Wheatear came to guide us on our way, showing very well. Unfortunately, it was blowing like the clappers and would have been impossible to get a photo. We just arrived back at the car, and made a cup of coffee (to warm our hands, principally) when the heavens opened.

Site two was The Roaches, a rocky outcrop favoured by climbers. Here we were supposed to see Spotted Flycatchers and a Little Owl and possible Red Kite. Unfortunately, we couldn't see a yard in front of the car due to the stair-rods that were coming from the sky.

So, on to site three - Tittesworth Reservoir. We decided to try out the cafe (as you do) while we waited for the rain to stop and had a lovely piece of carrot cake and cup of tea. When we emerged, the rain had abated so we had a walk over to the nature reserve area. Nothing from the first hide, but we had a good view of a couple of juvenile Great Spotted Woodpeckers at the feeding station at the second hide. No Pied Flycatchers around, though.

Rain coming on again, we decided to move on to site four - Deep Hayes Country Park, south west of Leek. It wasn't raining when we arrived and we saw a lovely Nuthatch on the feeder behind the visitor centre. The warden said that the Pied Flycatchers hadn't bred this year and were not very numerous. We started on the walk to try and find one or two, but the weather changed again, so we headed back to the car, only spotting a Grey Wagtail on the weir and a noisy family of Blue Tits in the car park.

We were going to give up at this point and come home, but we decided to give Coombes Valley a shot. We arrived about 2pm and slowly wandered round, seeing a Chiffchaff and lots of Chaffinches, a Robin and a Blackbird. At the hide we thought we saw some Pied Flycatchers, but couldn't be certain. In the visitor centre it said that they'd had a good year, fledging over 100 young, but they were all in hiding yesterday. As we were about to leave the hide a Common Buzzard flew overhead. We carried on back to the car park and set off home, but at least we got round without any rain.

Now it was time for home, stopping off at a nice tea room in Hartington in the Peak District for a light meal.

Last edited:
RichUK said:
Nice little report Diane. It sounds like you had a similar day to me - except you visited more places!

Rich.

Well, we are gluttons for punishment. The places we visited will certainly be on our list to re-visit - on a better day, of course.

digi-birder said:
Well, we are gluttons for punishment. The places we visited will certainly be on our list to re-visit - on a better day, of course.

Always a bonus if you find somewhere you'd like to re-visit. I look forward to reading your next report - if the weather ever improves!

Rich.

digi-birder said:
On the recommendation of Tom McKinney.

Named and shamed!

A least you got the Ouzels. Surprised about Tittesworth. I guess the Pied Flys must have left the nest boxes already...?

Try it again on a nicer day. I promise you'll have a great time...

Nicely written report, Diane. It all sounds a bit damp. I think you deserve a medal for braving it out. I wouldn't have the dedication these days.

Tom, yes we'll definitely be back sometime. It's a nice area and would be well worth visiting again.

Andy, thanks for that!!

Jason, we didn't get thoroughly soaked, choosing our walkabouts mainly in between the showers. And when it was absolutely tippling down we were driving. We did get some bits of sunshine in between. We are mainly fair-weather birders, though, normally.

"..we couldn't see a yard in front of the car due to the stair-rods..." Is this a reference to lightning? I know, it's a dumb question. But they're the only kind I know to ask. :)

No,Joe...it's a reference to rain I think,alluding to the straightness of stair-rods and heavy,vertical rainfall.
There are less genteel expressions for such weather!

What seemed like a quiet day at Rutland water on 6th July turned out to be enjoyable with the following spotted- Ruff, Curlew, Little Eagret, Black Tailed Godwit, Kestrel,Green Sandpiper, Pochard, Greenshank, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Common sandpiper to name but a few. Unfortunately the Osaprey's were not in evidence bu then you can't win them all.

Grousemore said:
No,Joe...it's a reference to rain I think,alluding to the straightness of stair-rods and heavy,vertical rainfall.
There are less genteel expressions for such weather!

The phrase just came out without a thought that few people would understand it. :bounce:

Trevor is correct - it is in reference to the heavy rainfall. We used to say Oop North here, "Eee, rain's comin' dahn like stair rods." Well, not me, of course, being genteel!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back