• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser spotted woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

phillippa life

calling on lincolnshire birders help,ive heard belton park near grantham is a good place to see l s woodpeckers.Can anyone tell me the exact place to see them,i had a walk yesterday near the belmont tower in the woods but not a sniff,was i in the right place and if not can you put me right.
cheers

Hi Phillippa,I`ve always had more success from about mid-March .Best to learn their manic call and use that to help locate them.Can only really be confused with a nuthatch so learn that as well.Good luck.

Phillippa I see/hear LSW's where I work at this time of year but they're very elusive little birds, the call and drumming is what gives them away. Am lucky to see them once a week even though I'm spending the whole day in the gardens.

early/mid morning in Feb/March seems the best time to me, if you have been in a good spot it might take several trips before you find them.

there's a recording of the call here...

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/lesserspotted.htm#Voice

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back