• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dipping Waxwings….. (2 Viewers)

KenM

Having dipped local Waxwings this Winter c6 times, we decided yesterday to go back to Bushy Park where we had (very briefly), 7 birds on Feb.1st.
Certainly not local, c21 miles due SW of our abode across the metropolis, using public transport Bus/Tube and Train, a cancellation of the latter didn’t help, certainly added to the journey time of c2.5 hours.😩
Upon arrival we were greeted with blanket grey and 8 degrees, whereupon walking up to an overclad birder with a “bazooka” around her back.
I enquired if they had been seen in this wooded strip, she smiled and with a “windmilling” arm gesture proclaimed that they were “all around us”.
Looking a bit surprised, I gazed up and said “good God!” as I unleashed and “bazooked” my bridge!
It became quite apparent that within this wooded strip….without any sun (none forecast) imaging would be a challenging affair!😩
However, it was, what it was, the birds would sit high in the trees for minutes on end, then a “contagious trilling” would precede their sudden arrival to the lower branches, (perhaps 8-12’ up) the cue for frantic photography to take place.
As I mused…if only the sun would appear…it duly did!😮 where I managed these humble offerings, however for me, it was the congregational “trilling” chorus upon departure that stole the day at 15.24, as they departed Southerly, presumably to roost somewhere in Hampton Court.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC03727.jpeg     Wax18..jpeg
    DSC03727.jpeg Wax18..jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03944.jpeg   Wax12..jpeg
    DSC03944.jpeg Wax12..jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03950.jpeg    Wax9..jpeg
    DSC03950.jpeg Wax9..jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC03736.jpeg    Wax25..jpeg