• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riddles of the (Birding) Sphinx (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Alright I've been thinking of this for some time now so here are 2 riddles for you to solve one is easy and the other is quite difficult.(I will post more if the thread proves popular and dosen't fall to peaces...)

1st one:"From above it's black like a frying pan.From underneath it's white cotton,from behind it's like a scisor.What is it?"

(I'm looking for a species or if you prefer familly.)

2nd one:"Our wings and feathers are made of metal.In a swamp we lived and our feathers we could fire like arrows.Livestock we liked to eat and humans we terrorized.Until Heracle came and killed us all with his bow and arrow.Now we no longer exist of wild feather in Europe.And terrorize humans we do no more for in the desert we have hid..."

(I'm looking for a species)

Have fun,

Dimi

i agree with dan on no.1, accurately it gotta be sterna fuscata by description, but: if this is some ancient greek text i'd prefer "swallows" in general for this bird),

2nd: bald ibis???

kalinihta

Last edited:
lou salomon said:
i agree with dan on no.1, accurately it gotta be sterna fuscata by description, but: if this is some ancient greek text i'd prefer "swallows" in general for this bird),

2nd: bald ibis???

kalinihta

Well done Dawn and lou!Swallows the correct answer.(Didn't even think of a Sterna when I was writting down the riddle)

Yes it's Bald Ibis.Aparently ancient Greeks thought of this bird as a bad omen.But we are not sure.(Perhaps of it's weird appearance?)

Here's another 2:

"When God was about to colour me in he had not enough paint of one particular colour.So instead of colouring me one colour he decided to paint me a little bit of evry colour..."

"My beak is the shape of the Moon when it's in a particular phase.My knowledge of omens trigered the floods.My burial protected the dead.
The god I represented on earth had my head"

Kalimera,

Dimi.

kalimera d.,
i know the 1st one so i'm gonna be silent.
errr, coot for the 2nd? or curlew maybe or glossy ibis this time? or since it has to do with deads: sacred ibis

Last edited:
Hmm seems that no one else is interested the answers are:painted Bunting and Sacred Ibis.

Kalo kalokairi,(Have a good summer)

Dimitris

lou salomon said:
painted bunting??? i know this for european goldfinch! why an american?

I read somewere that the native Americans made such a story for the bird (painted bunting) and thus I made the riddle.Had no idea that something similar existed for Goldfinch!Well you learn something new evryday it seems. :)

Rgrs,

Dimitris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back