• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on a birding trip in Uganda (1 Viewer)

If you read my post again, I didn't deny that. My point was that you would need to learn a lot before going there independently. Nothing in Europe, for example, is going to teach you what wild lions, hippos, or elephants are capable of or are likely to do – I don't think there is any "normal sense" about that.
I agree, I've seen some real idiots in African parks.

By far the most stupid I've seen was in the US with an idiot walking right up to a grizzly bear. Just use common sense: it's pretty obvious what those animals can do. In particular don't argue with an elephant even when in a vehicle. I'd feel far safer in an Africa park than in quite a few 'developed world' cities.

Hello,

I would like to visit Uganda next year and I have a few questions.
I plan to go with a birding company because I suppose it's very difficult to organize everything alone in Africa.
I have a good knowledge of European birds but I'm nowhere a pro, I fear lagging behind other participants as it is an area where nearly any birds will be new for me and I will surely not recognize anything by myself. Is that a problem ? Especially since I'm not a native english speaker.

Last January I took a week of holiday in Gran Canaria. I booked a one day birding trip with a local guide as to not pester my wife all the week. There was another customer and I realized that he had a very different approach to birding. We had very good views of laurel pigeons but he just glanced at them for 30 seconds. The guide managed to find the blue chaffinches and once it was done he came back to the car while we searched for more birds. The guide managed to balance our two styles so it was good but if I pay a large sum to go to Uganda I want to spend as much time as possible in the field. I'm worried to be with listers only that dont want to "waste" time looking at the birds or very experienced birders that just want one specific bird and are not interested by the other ones.

I think on an actual multi day tour it will be geared to wildlife all day and that the vast majority of people will want to do that. The only one I’ve done there was someone there who was primarily a perfect shot photographer with very little interest in what he was shooting and one person who was a casual birder who just fancied visiting the area and ended up thinking it had been too birdy for him but there was definitely no chance of things being cut short for them and somewhere like Uganda where people are likely to be seeing hundreds of new birds you are unlikely to be getting anyone only interested in one specific target (maybe one of the iconic mammals but there are easier ways to do that.)

I’m seriously considering doing a Uganda tour with my wife next year and yes it would be cheaper to do it independently but the price would remain in the same general ball park and the fuss will be totally removed

I've just had a quick look, and for example, Naturetrek is offering 10 days without Gorilla trekking for just under £4k. We did 12 days for under £2k including Gorilla trekking. As others have said, it is a great option to do independently, and my wife and I are hoping to return again to do just that!

A
Fair enough it’s a bigger differential than I expected
It is personal choice but I find it more satisfying which is good as my pockets aren't deep enough to spend anywhere near as much time in tropical countries as I do if I went on lots of tours. If you want any tips do feel free to get in touch. I did 5 weeks for 3 people for probably not that much more than £4k but I have to admit I haven't worked it out because it was considerably more expensive than most my trips.

I’m a teacher and have a young daughter so I don’t really have the freedom to do multiple trips anyway. An organised one that lines up perfectly with school holidays and saves prep time is far better for me but I totally get that others get something extra from sorting it for themselves

I’m a teacher and have a young daughter so I don’t really have the freedom to do multiple trips anyway. An organised one that lines up perfectly with school holidays and saves prep time is far better for me but I totally get that others get something extra from sorting it for themselves
I'm a teacher too. It's great for multiple trips. It's the main perk of the job. My daughter is now 17 and has been to Africa 5 times. The school summer holidays are great for Uganda and South Africa.

Last edited:
I've just had a quick look, and for example, Naturetrek is offering 10 days without Gorilla trekking for just under £4k. We did 12 days for under £2k including Gorilla trekking. As others have said, it is a great option to do independently, and my wife and I are hoping to return again to do just that!
In an established, bird watching country like Uganda, guides will be readily available at each park. All you need to do is a bit of online rearch for the best or at least, a good, bird guide at each park and pick them up on arrival. A lot of tour companies will actually do this themselves, especially in countries will very diverse habitat and wildlife.

This way, you're not paying thee guides food, accomodations and travel although you will have to do the driving yourself which isn't an absolute terror in Uganda, away from the Cities anyway.

In an established, bird watching country like Uganda, guides will be readily available at each park. All you need to do is a bit of online rearch for the best or at least, a good, bird guide at each park and pick them up on arrival. A lot of tour companies will actually do this themselves, especially in countries will very diverse habitat and wildlife.

This way, you're not paying thee guides food, accomodations and travel although you will have to do the driving yourself which isn't an absolute terror in Uganda, away from the Cities anyway.
Indeed, we even managed to find a guide and accommodation for a morning at RM Budongo by just turning up at the forestry college, as well as someone willing to take us out to look for Shoebill - I'd given up on the latter until we struck up conversation in a pub on our penultimate night.
The driving was fine, just be aware that the time to cover distances is often longer than you think.

I agree that the driving is okay but allow about 25% on top of what Google maps says; really slow down for speed bumps - they're very slippery and several times the back of our Landcruiser started sliding; and don't take Google Map's shortcuts they can lead to down tracks that even the best 4WDs can struggle with or they can turn into paths that you'd struggle to get down on a mountain bike let alone a car.

You can just turn up at the Shoebill centre and someone will take you out. the only other time I used a guide was for the pitta although I didn't do Budongo, which I would have done if I hadn't been with non-birding wife and daughter.

My advice is contrary to your idea, Torcol. I suggest instead of traveling with a birding tour company that will offer you a structured itinerary. You should simply hire a car with a driver in Uganda, this will give you the freedom to visit any birding site at any given time. Mark you, birds are found in numerous natural environments and it requires some bit of flexibility in your itinerary to get the best of the experience. For instance: you may want to sight the shoebill and the great blue turaco on the same trip and these are found in totally detached environments. Shoebill is popularly sighted in Mabamba Swamp in the central region of Uganda yet the great blue turaco is found in Bigodi wetland sanctuary, on the edges of Kibale forest in the western region. To sight the two interesting bird species, you will need ample time and flexibility in your itinerary which a tour company cannot offer but when you only rent a car, you become the planner of your own trip.

Driving yourself really is not difficult in Uganda.
It’s only hard in the city because of the boda bodas (motorcycles) which act as mobile taxis for the locals. Out of Kampala, it is easy and exciting, there is less traffic and presence of greenery on the roadsides.

If you do, have a week in Rwanda too, fantastic birding.

My advice is contrary to your idea, Torcol. I suggest instead of traveling with a birding tour company that will offer you a structured itinerary. You should simply hire a car with a driver in Uganda, this will give you the freedom to visit any birding site at any given time. Mark you, birds are found in numerous natural environments and it requires some bit of flexibility in your itinerary to get the best of the experience. For instance: you may want to sight the shoebill and the great blue turaco on the same trip and these are found in totally detached environments. Shoebill is popularly sighted in Mabamba Swamp in the central region of Uganda yet the great blue turaco is found in Bigodi wetland sanctuary, on the edges of Kibale forest in the western region. To sight the two interesting bird species, you will need ample time and flexibility in your itinerary which a tour company cannot offer but when you only rent a car, you become the planner of your own trip.
Great Blue Turaco is easy in Entebbe botanical gardens with a lot of other good birds.

Hello,

I would like to visit Uganda next year and I have a few questions.
I plan to go with a birding company because I suppose it's very difficult to organize everything alone in Africa.
I have a good knowledge of European birds but I'm nowhere a pro, I fear lagging behind other participants as it is an area where nearly any birds will be new for me and I will surely not recognize anything by myself. Is that a problem ? Especially since I'm not a native english speaker.

Last January I took a week of holiday in Gran Canaria. I booked a one day birding trip with a local guide as to not pester my wife all the week. There was another customer and I realized that he had a very different approach to birding. We had very good views of laurel pigeons but he just glanced at them for 30 seconds. The guide managed to find the blue chaffinches and once it was done he came back to the car while we searched for more birds. The guide managed to balance our two styles so it was good but if I pay a large sum to go to Uganda I want to spend as much time as possible in the field. I'm worried to be with listers only that dont want to "waste" time looking at the birds or very experienced birders that just want one specific bird and are not interested by the other ones.

Finally I'm not a photographer but I like to do record shots of the birds especially new species. For some skulking species it can means taking some time to get a decent view. Is it done during a birding trip or does the guide says "in this bush you have this warbler singing now let's move to our next stop"

Thanks in advance for your help and advices !
We use the Merlin app for studying the birds. Recently went to Bhutan and didn’t know any birds to start. But after using Merlin to study before hand I arrived knowing the majority. It made the experience so much more worthwhile. Birds of Africa app (free) is also good for testing yourself for what you have learnt on Merlin with different photos and different order of species.

There are so many guides available in Uganda. My husband and I were there last year for 6 weeks birding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back