• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my first moths (1 Viewer)

hawkwind

Hello .... my new trap was set up Friday evening and I was up at day break today to see what we had caught, carefully lifting out the egg boxes I was pleased to see several species of moth including some micro ones and
not having an I/d book on those yet I released them . Here are some of which I took some photos of.There were quite a few of third ones but I cant seem to find them in my book, the first one I believe is an August thorn, next I think is a common wainscot but one these two I am having trouble finding what it is, one I think is a large yellow underwing the other I have no idea, if some one could confirm it would be most appreciated !
regards and many thanks Bram

Attachments

• DSCF0645edit4[1].jpg
    DSCF0645edit4[1].jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 90
  • P1000307edit6[1].jpg
    P1000307edit6[1].jpg
    29 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF0697edit2[3].jpg
    DSCF0697edit2[3].jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 0b10d5f3-e4b0-415f-bab2-318299de4440[1].jpg
    0b10d5f3-e4b0-415f-bab2-318299de4440[1].jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
With the caveat that I have only looked at these on my phone...

1. Agree, but it is out of focus I think.
2. Agree.
3. Setaceous Hebrew Character.
4. Agree - Large Yellow Underwing.

Andy M

I'm sorry. I can't turn the first photo into August Thorn.

Despite being included in the BAP regarding common but severely declining moths, my experience is that Dusky Thorn is the commonest of the yellow thorns that I encounter. Canary-shouldered Thorn is the second commonest. September Thorn is common in habitat rather than gardens but it flies late - typically 1am or so. August Thorn in my view is the least common. I rarely catch it. It holds its wings in a curious shallow v, has a heavily curved first line and a curious outwards kink in the second line. The moth in the photo (to me) appears to be Dusky Thorn.

I am intrigued by the second moth in the fourth photo. Flounced Rustic would be the common choice but it looks stubbornly like a Feathered Ranunculus which I am yet to catch this year though it should be on the wing I suppose. I'll look again when on a computer rather than a handheld.

All the best

Last edited:
Must be my eyes, and the small pic, but I thought no. 1 was a Small Elephant Hawk-moth!

Yes, not a serious suggestion - but I do struggle to see enough detail in that pic for an ID. Is there a way to enlarge the image?

Mark

Clearly either a Dusky or August Thorn. It's then down to the shape of the cross-lines and the shape is clear enough to see (just) on the image in my opinion to separate the two species particularly on the first line (ie the one nearest the head).

All the best

Last edited:
Thanks Paul - it's great to be able to learn so much here from those with experience, like yourself, as my mothing is largely a solitary venture (necessarily so, unless I want other moth-ers turning up at my home at 5am!).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back