• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Hawk Moth (2 Viewers)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
We usually have a couple in our small garden every year, though I'd more or less given up hope, but one turned up this morning Hurrah, love to see them, definitely my favourite insect!! A few more equally as bad pics on the blog at the link!

559A8324.JPG

I've had about 5 records in my garden this year including one a couple of days ago. Similar number to last year, though then most records were October/November; the latter being unseasonably warm last year.

We usually have a couple in our small garden every year, though I'd more or less given up hope, but one turned up this morning Hurrah, love to see them, definitely my favourite insect!! A few more equally as bad pics on the blog at the link!

View attachment 1534249
Lovely shot. Sadly my Buddleia finished flowering a couple of weeks ago, but I did have a HHM whizz through yesterday.

When I lived in Malta (1940s & 50s), as a kid (Dad was in the RN), I often saw what I was told were HHM. Who was I to dispute, my "elders and betters"? If I had been told that they were Doodlebug Moths, I would have accepted that too.
I would love to see them again, but I've obviously never been looking at the right place, at the right time. :sleep:

View attachment 1534249
Hi. Snap! Saw my first one yesterday, by chance, early evening, in Southampton..........facinating to Watch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back