• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox. Collimation problem? (1 Viewer)

Brosnabirder

Ireland
Hello all,

I've recently discovered a possible problem with my much loved Minox HG 8.5 x 43. I've recently had two weeks off work and have been using the bins intensively. On Sunday I noticed (not for the first time) quite bad eyestrain and a mild headache after three or four hours of use. Also I couldn't quite get sharp focus or a nice round view through the bins despite endless messing about with the dioptre setting and inter pupilliary distance.

I've got two questions which hopefully someone can help with,

1. Does this sound like a collimation problem?

2. Has anyone ever dealt with Minox customer service in Germany and what was your experience like? I live in Switzerland and it would probably be easiest to speak to the HQ even though I bought the bins from ACE in Bath.

To be fair to Minox, I'm not vey careful with my optics and I've dropped them on more than one occasion. The most serious drop/fall resulted in a severe dent to the housing on one side of the left objective lense. This would probably invalidate the warranty I presume. Amazingly the bins have remained waterproof testimony to the build quality I reckon.

All the best,
Tom

P.S. In case it's relevant I wear glasses.

Last edited:
Any knock bad enough to damage the outside of the optical tube has a more than even chance of having dislodged lenses or prism inside.

Have a word with Minox HQ, their repair dept contact info is on the Minox website.

Good luck.

Lee

When the strap came adrift on my 8x43 HGs and they fell to the ground, damaging the eye cup, I had to return them to Minox UK. They then sent the bins off to Germany for repair and this was undertaken free of charge, with the binoculars coming back to me as good as new.

I would contact the Minox service department and see what they have to say.

Ron

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll contact Minox and ask about a check up and / or a repair.
It may not be worth getting them fixed if the price guides on the website are anything to go by. I guess I'll weigh up my options when they've had a look at the bins.

Ron, strangely enough the strap also came off my pair before they hit a metal grid like surface on a ferry trip. Good to hear your report though. You must have been pleasantly surprised.

Tom.

Ron, strangely enough the strap also came off my pair before they hit a metal grid like surface on a ferry trip. Good to hear your report though. You must have been pleasantly surprised.
That is a bit of an understatement as I had only had them a few weeks when it happened. I think the problem is that the tails of the straps are very narrow and the material is rather smooth, so it slips through the buckles quite easily. I have doubled the tails back through the buckles now and added a couple of stitches to prevent it from happening again.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back