• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 12x36 IS iii collimation problem (1 Viewer)

andy79

Romania
Hi,

I have recently received an online purchase of Canon 12x36 IS iii binocular. Being my first IS bino, this is indeed a very useful feature.
However I wasn't lucky enough to receive a copy without collimation problems, that some older posts on birdforum seem to have mentioned.

It is not an absolute disaster, to have completely two images formed, but it is enough misaligned to cause that unpleasant feeling that makes you not want to look too much time through them and feeling eye strain and discomfort after a while.

Is there a way to try to fix the problem for this model (other than returning)? I wonder if other users had this issue recently.

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, if the problem is with the binocular and not with your eyes, then the binocular should be returned for replacement.

Regards,
B.

Hi Andy

As Binastro says, they should be returned. You'll get headaches trying to use them as they are, and for any pair of binoculars - at any price point, let alone these, which are far from cheap - it's just not acceptable that they should be out of collimation. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions, best of luck.

Edit: if you have any other binoculars to compare them with, it should be possible to eliminate the unlikely possibility that the problem is with your eyes.

Thank you for the answers. Yes, I have a Nikon Monarch 5 8x42. No problems of this kind.
It’s good to know your eyes are OK. It’s tiresome, but box them up and return them is the only option. From what I've seen in the past, Canon are not terribly helpful when it comes to problems with binocular coatings becoming sticky (btw I've had my 18x50s about 8 years, and 10x32s for 3 or 4 years, without any such problem). But collimation is a different matter. I hope you get a quick response.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back