• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader ID Question, N Germany 04/2013 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
Trawling through older pictures, I've come across these ones from a local birding hotspot in Holstein in northern Germany. Now there's Ruff and a Wood Sandpiper, but the one on the right has me stumped. Is this another Wood Sandpiper, as the tail pattern seems to indicate? But if so, why does it look so different from the other one, despite the fact that this was taken in late April (and why does it seem slightly bigger in the second picture)? Am I missing something obvious here?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but in my defence I have no memory of this bird's behaviour and what I identified it as back then.

Pictures are cropped and two of them resized. Third one is a crop from the original of the second one to preserve whatever little detail the poor quality allows.

Attachments

• Pohnsdorf 072.jpg
    Pohnsdorf 072.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Pohnsdorf 074.1.JPG
    Pohnsdorf 074.1.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Pohnsdorf 074.2.JPG
    Pohnsdorf 074.2.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 101
Another Wood Sandpiper. I'm not really seeing much difference between the two birds really. There's an impression of size difference but it's hard to assess whether it's real or just an effect of the photo and the stance of the bird.

Thank you both. What about the different back pattern and the weaker supercilium, and the overall warmer tone? Are they indicative of age (because it kind of resembles the immature plumage), i.e. might it be a bird from the previous year?

I'm seeing 2 Wood Sands.and a Ruff (1st image), 2 Ruff and a Wood Sand.(2nd image) and a Wood Sand.3rd image?

Cheers

The 2nd Wood sand might be a 2CY bird, with some adult type, contrasting, feathers among the more worn (for example the tertials) 1CY feathers (but the photo doesn't allow this to be seen clearly).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back