• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Terra Pocket Bins!! (1 Viewer)

Aimed di-rectly at the CL. Same FOV, an ounce lighter, a bit closer focus, and made in China so half the price.

Swarovski will not be happy to see this.

Mark

Assuming it retains most of the ''Terra'' optics [distinctly mid-tier], it will not be in the same league as the CL.

James

I haven't tried the CL Pockets, but if they are of a similar quality to CL 8x30 and if the Terra pockets are up to the standard of Terra 8x32, then there are interesting times ahead.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Makes me wonder if Zeiss will go all-in down this route of Terra-type bins.

What I would like to see would be a premium 32 mm 1st, as well as a premium and Conquest level compact. I find it odd that Zeiss hasn't prioritized the replacement for the 32 mm FL, as I would think that the 32 mm would be top sellers.

Jan, what do you say about 32 mm sales numbers vs. 42 mm and larger?

Thanks Lee. Makes me wonder if Zeiss will go all-in down this route of Terra-type bins.

What I would like to see would be a premium 32 mm 1st, as well as a premium and Conquest level compact. I find it odd that Zeiss hasn't prioritized the replacement for the 32 mm FL, as I would think that the 32 mm would be top sellers.

Jan, what do you say about 32 mm sales numbers vs. 42 mm and larger?

James,

42 is the best sold configuration. The 50SV comes very close to that (in the past a lot of 42s were traded in for the 50) and 32 is just for travelers where lightweight goes before dusk and dawn observations.

I think that Zeiss has its hands full with the demands for the 42SF and has no space where so ever in Wetzlar to introduce/built a 32 and/or 50SF.

The Terra is just a Kamakura China built bin within the context of a Zeiss design. It does not ask for any German labor, so expanding the Terra line is very logic in this sense and IMHO not a sign that Zeiss is further downgrading.

I am absolutely with you that a (7x:-O) 32SF would be more than welcome, but since Zeiss decided to outsource some lines it is common sense what they are doing right now.

Jan

James,

42 is the best sold configuration. The 50SV comes very close to that (in the past a lot of 42s were traded in for the 50) and 32 is just for travelers where lightweight goes before dusk and dawn observations.

I think that Zeiss has its hands full with the demands for the 42SF and has no space where so ever in Wetzlar to introduce/built a 32 and/or 50SF.

The Terra is just a Kamakura China built bin within the context of a Zeiss design. It does not ask for any German labor, so expanding the Terra line is very logic in this sense and IMHO not a sign that Zeiss is further downgrading.

I am absolutely with you that a (7x:-O) 32SF would be more than welcome, but since Zeiss decided to outsource some lines it is common sense what they are doing right now.

Jan

Thanks Jan, and goes to illustrate how outside the norm we here at this forum are. Reading here would make you think that 7x42's and 8x32's are the bins of choice. [or at least the bins most desired]

James,

Jan

Jan:

It is good of you to share your sales numbers for your part of the world.
I agree, in the US, the 10x42 is by far the most popular size sold in all price ranges in the large sporting goods stores that I go to.
My estimate is the 10x42 sells, around 3:1, to all other sizes combined.

I would like to hear some others opinions.

Thanks, for your heads up, on what is coming from Swarovski. ;)

Jerry

Jan:

It is good of you to share your sales numbers for your part of the world.
I agree, in the US, the 10x42 is by far the most popular size sold in all price ranges in the large sporting goods stores that I go to.
My estimate is the 10x42 sells, around 3:1, to all other sizes combined.

I would like to hear some others opinions.

Thanks, for your heads up, on what is coming from Swarovski. ;)

Jerry

Jerry,

Eagle Optics has received 46 reviews on the SV 8.5x42, 30 reviews on the SV 10x42 and 21 reviews on the SV 8x32. These reviews go back to December 2011 on the 8.5x42; April 2010 on the 10x42 and May 2012 on the 8x32. It looks like, at least at EO, that the 8.5x42 SV is more popular than the 10x42 SV. One has to read the reviews to determine whether hunters or birders bought them.

They have received 2 reviews each for the SF 8x42 and SF 10 x42. These reviews are from this year only. But note that the Zeiss's cost $300.00 more than the SV's.

Bob

Last edited:
I find it odd that Zeiss hasn't prioritized the replacement for the 32 mm FL, as I would think that the 32 mm would be top sellers.

I know what you mean James, FL 32 are 10 years old now and I am frustrated by the long delay in replacement.

But bearing in mind Mike Jensen's explanation of the 3 tier product range, where the Terra attracts new people to the brand and Conquest then Victory lead them up the range, over the long term, it does make sense that Zeiss gets the 'bottom rungs on the ladder' in place asap.

No optics company has unlimited resources and I am sure Z is doing as much as then can as fast as they can.

Lee

I know what you mean James, FL 32 are 10 years old now and I am frustrated by the long delay in replacement.

But bearing in mind Mike Jensen's explanation of the 3 tier product range, where the Terra attracts new people to the brand and Conquest then Victory lead them up the range, over the long term, it does make sense that Zeiss gets the 'bottom rungs on the ladder' in place asap.

No optics company has unlimited resources and I am sure Z is doing as much as then can as fast as they can.

Lee

Lee,

The SFs only came out 13 months ago and there still seems to be some bugs in it. See the link below which was posted today.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3249969&postcount=2769

I think Zeiss will get on the new 32mm when the SF is up and running smoothly.

Bob

Lee,

The SFs only came out 13 months ago and there still seems to be some bugs in it. See the link below which was posted today.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3249969&postcount=2769

I think Zeiss will get on the new 32mm when the SF is up and running smoothly.

Bob

Yes Bob I saw that and commented on it.
I think James sighed when he saw it, I certainly groaned, and I know folks in Wetzlar who will have sworn oaths.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back