• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED 8x25 soft pouch + lens covers (1 Viewer)

ReinierB

Netherlands
I just purchased the Terra ED 8x25. I am happy with it! The optics are really nice, considering the price. The hinges are JUST firm enough. I prefer them to be a little more tight, but it is ok.
I received it with the hard case. However, for some reason I hoped them to be delivered with this new soft pouch. The hard case is a bit large for a pocket, the soft pouch would be better storing the pocket bin in my pocket. Do you know if I can get this soft pouch separately? Can I ask Zeiss for it?
There were no covers included. I have the rainguard of the CL 8x25 which fits. If I want to put them in my pocket, I prefer them to have lens covers as well (the inner site of my pocket can have some dust/sand in it). Does somebody know with lens covers would fit and where I can get them them?

About those not so tight hinges... I have read from others that this occurs. For now they are tight enough. However, when they will loosen more in the future, they will be too loose I am afraid. What is the experience of others? Will they stay the same or loosen more after a while?

Last edited:
It’s almost certainly worth getting in touch with Zeiss and asking them if they can supply the things you want.

Hello. I have used Op/Tech USA neoprene (excellent shock protection) covers and bags for my cameras and lenses fro a long time. They are superb quality and have lasted well. I don't abuse my gear, neither do I baby them. I have downsized to just one camera that is with me most of the time in its Op/Tech case.

Other smaller binoculars go into a simple draw pull soft velour case (limited protection) but it does keep dirt and grit out that can accumulate in a pocket/bag.

I do not bother with lenses covers on small Binos, as they are either in my hand and using them, or in a bag.

Prophot shops in France stock Op/Tech USA products as there are a dealer. have a look at the Bino wrap.

soft-pouch-bino-wrap.html

Hope this helps you.

Thanks... I measure 35-36 mm diameter. I do not see this size between them...

You might try the Opticron 34mm outer diameter. I have had some luck stretching the covers out a bit to fit slightly larger sizes. If you can get Vortex accessories, both the objective covers and rain guard for the 28mm Diamondback fit the Terra perfectly.

I am still wondering what others experienced with those hinges. Mine are ok, but could be more stiff. I do not hope it will loosen more in the future. Is that the case with others? Or don't I have to be afraid, because that won't happen?
If it will happen, I hope it will within the two years warranty period...

I am still wondering what others experienced with those hinges. Mine are ok, but could be more stiff. I do not hope it will loosen more in the future. Is that the case with others? Or don't I have to be afraid, because that won't happen?
If it will happen, I hope it will within the two years warranty period...

I’ve had a made in Japan, 8 x 25 Terra for five or six years now. I can’t say whether the hinges have loosened overtime, but they are a bit looser than many of my other pocket models. It seems when this model first came out There were several complaints about hinges being too loose, right out of the box, also reports of some hinge loosening with use. I wouldn’t mind if my hinges were a bit tighter, but they’re not so loose that the IP adjustment changes with normal focusing which would be a real issue. Otherwise it’s only a minor annoyance when removing and replacing lens covers will sometimes move the IP. YMMV. You may want to experiment with the asymmetrical adjustment of IPD

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back