• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of the World app? (1 Viewer)

dyuhas

In the not too distant future I'll be traveling abroad without a fixed return date. I want to see as many birds as possible. But I can't pack multiple printed field guides. Is there an IOS-compatible field guide that covers all birds, not just North American species?

There aren't even apps for all regions of the world, let alone a single app that covers all species. I think the best you can hope for is making strategic choices regarding regional apps (you may run into memory issues as well, depending on your device - if you're taking a laptop as well you can swap out apps depending on your mobile device depending on where you currently are), and using the internet for the rest.

Maybe reformulating your request to one soliciting recommendations for apps for specific regions would be more productive. For that it might be a good idea to give some notion regarding where you expect to travel.

Andrea

Some regional apps I have are:

• eGuide to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (mydigitalearth): Covers India, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Good drawings, however some errors are build in which were never corrected (several wrong maps, 2 species confused).
  • Collins Bird Guide App (http://collinsbirdguideapp.com/): Covers Europe, Northern Africa and the Middle East. An excellent app, included songs, maps and really good drawings.
  • The Michael Morcombe and David Stewart eGuide to the Birds of Australia (mydigitalearth): covers Australia. Includes songs, however the drawings are not the best...

André

Another alternative that I have never experimented with but heard about: get a subscription to http://www.hbw.com/

You should be able to make custom PDF plates with some of the drawings, and download those onto your device. Obviously, this is clumsy and would have to be supplemented with voice downloads from Xeno Canto.

Niels

Another alternative that I have never experimented with but heard about: get a subscription to http://www.hbw.com/

If you travel the world for birding, you certainly should subscribe for that. Only 30 € or so per year and it gives you an increadible complete resource on all birds of the world. However:
- it is not an app, it is a website, so needs an internet connection
- it is not an ID guide. The descriptions and the plates are helpful to support IDs, but using hbw alone won't work in many cases (e.g. the plates show only birds standing birds in breeding plumage)

I think there is no way around using the few regional ID apps available and books for the rest. Try to buy the books on the way, and send back books you don't need any more as you move on (or give them away to some local guides or birders), then you don't need to carry more than a few...

Sorry my previous message was unclear: I do subscribe. The part I have not tried is to do custom plates (I like field guides!). However, I have heard that those custom plates can be downloaded.

Niels

However, I have heard that those custom plates can be downloaded.

I've played with this, but I don't think there is a very comfortable function to download plates. The best I found is to either safe the plates as html files (they can then later be opened offline in the browser) or print them into a pdf (with a little akward formatting). This works, but I don't think its very comfortable to use offline.

And most importantly, the plates show standing males only. No females, no juveniles and no pictures in flight. So not really useable for replacing a field guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back