• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (2 Viewers)

I wonder if he's even aware that he hid that list. I'll ask him.
EDIT: he'll be unblocking along with his next blog post when his internet gets better. Marsh Sandpiper it is.
I've attached my updates.
Joe

Attachments

• BigYears2016ByCode.xlsx
    550.6 KB · Views: 37
  • BigYears2016.xlsx
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Jabiru in Texas, first in many years. That's a long way from the Bering Sea for Olaf and John!

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31231604
Andy
Hmmm. Another Jabiru. I just missed john w and "olaf" by a couple of hours last month at the Mexican violetear in Medina County, TX. I wonder if they will chase the jabiru despite the distance. I will be chasing it friday morning--only 2 hours from my house. I just missed the last (2008) publicly accessible Jabiru.

This jabiru may be a returnee. A jabiru on inaccessible private land was reported in this same county of Texas (Victoria County) in 2015. I don't know the specifc location of that bird although i know someone who saw it but the landowner didnt want other visitors.

Hopefully this bird will stick around for john, olaf, christian and ms keene and remain visible from public roads. Per google earth The agricultural area where it was reported appears to be quite open so limited cover to hide the jabiru.

-john

Last edited:
My understanding is that Jabiru tend to be really really hard to chase in the ABA. It's going to be a risky gambit to leave AK for it, since it's not like their is daily service from St Paul/Gambell to Austin Texas.

Jon

Many thanks. That's actually quite an upbeat blog post. He seems to be enjoying birding:-

http://olafsbigyear.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/fall-strategy-part-1.html

Though small I found the Ringed/Semi-p Plover photo quite instructive. I've scratched my head a bit on the Common Snipe photo. Anyone able to talk about the racial separation of Boreal/Tengmalm's Owls?

All the best

Someone on the ABA area rare birds confirmed that the Boreal was a "true" Boreal, IE the North American form, and not Tengmalm's.

Gambell Island with Paul Lehman I think. If he is there than he probably added Dusky Warbler to his yearlist. Haven't seen any other rare bird of note reported from there of late. (or at least rare in the sense of not also being reported from St. Paul this month)

Olaf and John seem to have different AK plans. Will be interesting to see how this influences things.

Update from ebird 100 -

1 Olaf Danielson 330 759 (89.19%) Black-tailed Godwit (Aug 28, 2016)
2 Laura Keene 343 725 (85.19%) California Gnatcatcher (Aug 23, 2016)
3 Christian Hagenlocher 546 720 (84.61%) Great Shearwater (Aug 26, 2016)

We are up to an exiting spring in Alaska.
I really like that they have different plans it Alaska it seems. Makes it really interesting who is getting the record at the end.

Gambell Island with Paul Lehman I think. If he is there than he probably added Dusky Warbler to his yearlist. Haven't seen any other rare bird of note reported from there of late. (or at least rare in the sense of not also being reported from St. Paul this month)

Olaf and John seem to have different AK plans. Will be interesting to see how this influences things.

I think the Dusky Warbler was only seen on Aug 21. John was still in the lower 48 on a San Diego pelagic that day.

Will definitely be interesting to see how their time in Alaska differs and coincides.

After seeing Olaf's ebird record of Vega gull and then checking the lists to see which species of herring gull were allowed, i was puzzled and then surprised to learn that, if they were in the UK they would be able to count herring gull and American herring gull as two species, but that the split is not recognised by the ABA and AOU. Don't you just love expert committees.

So far as we know:-

Olaf (759) has 13 species on John (760):-
Harris's Sparrow - Code 1
Mottled Petrel - Code 2
Smith's Longspur - Code 2
McKay's Bunting - Code 2
Trindade Petrel - Code 3
Flesh-footed Shearwater - Code 3
Black-tailed Godwit - Code 3
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - Code 3
Great Skua - Code 3
Siberian Rubythroat - Code 3
Great Knot - Code 4
Hawfinch - Code 4
Marsh Sandpiper - Code 5

John (760) has 14 species on Olaf (759):-
Buller's Shearwater - Code 2
Smew - Code 3
Hawaiian Petrel - Code 3
White-tailed Tropicbird - Code 3
Common Sandpiper - Code 3
Long-toed Stint - Code 3
Ruddy Ground-Dove - Code 3
Rustic Bunting - Code 3
Brambling - Code 3
Blue-footed Booby - Code 4
Yellow-legged Gull - Code 4
Kelp Gull - Code 4
Pin-tailed Snipe - Code 5
Cuban Vireo - Code 5

Olaf could do with either some short staying cripplers or some of those Code 3 Alaskan grip backs. John's Code 1 and Code 2 species will not elude him all year. Odd that John's gen has disappeared into a black hole again.

http://ebird.org/ebird/top100?locInfo.regionCode=aba&yr=cur

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/p/this-is-listing-of-species-so-far.html

All the best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back