• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Here the updated list with Laura's species. I'll get to the "By Code" list along the way.
Again, thanks to Laura for allowing us access, and to Christian for greasing the wheels.
Joe

Joe

Many thanks. I make it 7 Code 1 and 13 Code 2 species available:-

Code 1
Ross's Goose
Purple Sandpiper
Bay-breasted Warbler
Hermit Warbler
Le Conte's Sparrow
Seaside Sparrow
Harris's Sparrow

Code 2
Arctic Loon
Mottled Petrel
Buller's Shearwater
Yellow Rail
Dovekie
Spotted Dove
Florida Scrub-Jay
Bohemian Waxwing
McKay's Bunting
Bachman's Sparrow
Black Rosy-Finch
Brown-capped Rosy-Finch
White-winged Crossbill

As a result, if it were not for Olaf's and John's efforts, Laura would have been backed at this stage to take the record! :eek!:

All the best

I detect a little tension in the participants (as well as the audience).

Olaf, Gambell 2/9 ebird report
1 slaty-backed gull

Christian, Gambell 2/9 ebird report
0 slaty-backed gull - but several hybrids showing characteristics

Olaf's next update will be interesting.

1 slaty-backed gull

But Paul Lehmann had a slaty-backed too!

Brian S

1 slaty-backed gull

But Paul Lehmann had a slaty-backed too!

Brian S

In any event, Laura, Christian, John & Olaf had all seen Slaty-backed Gull already this year.

All the best

Last edited:
The point was that Christian had put up a record of zero for a species, not the id.

That is the first zero that i have come across in ebird. I had already checked Paul's list and the very useful checklist from Joe and seen that they had seen the species elsewhere. Both of which made it slightly odd to me.

Regards
Chris

The point was that Christian had put up a record of zero for a species, not the id.

That is the first zero that i have come across in ebird. I had already checked Paul's list and the very useful checklist from Joe and seen that they had seen the species elsewhere. Both of which made it slightly odd to me.

Regards
Chris

I've not seen anything this year that would persuade me to take Christian's identification skills over Paul Lehman's:-

2nd Sept - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31388685

1st Sept - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31373410

24th Aug - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31235777 - includes photo

23rd Aug - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31221294 - two

21st Aug - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31193674 - four

If he wanted to record hybrids, then he could do so in eBird. Presumably he has been reading the Rainham bird thread and is identifying Vega x Slaty-backed Gull hybrids? All beyond me - the photo from 24th August would have left me clueless!

All the best

Last edited:

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris, a zero in eBird often represents a rare bird not seen, despite knowing it had been seen previously at a site (and therefore looked for by the observer). It indicates to future observers the absence of a rare bird, rather than just records of its presence.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Chris, a zero in eBird often represents a rare bird not seen, despite knowing it had been seen previously at a site (and therefore looked for by the observer). It indicates to future observers the absence of a rare bird, rather than just records of its presence.

Cheers,

Nigel

So he was dissing Paul Lehman!

So he was dissing Paul Lehman!

It's possible, but that would be a rather bold move!

I suspect he is just saying that he could not locate the Slaty-backed Gull, and could only find suspects that weren't good enough.

Paul and Christian certainly weren't looking at the same birds. Paul's checklist had 50 species for that day, while Christian had 28. Paul had 175 Glaucous, 50 Glaucous-winged, and 40 Herring; Christian had 40, 3, and 6, respectively.

I saw the same thing: Olaf must have removed the Godwit. I'd forwarded the link to the Washington Post article (thanks, Temmie!), which he appreciated. He said that the weather at Gambell has been horrible, with Wednesday predicted to be the day the weather finally changes for the better.

Joe

Thanks for the article link.

A nice review of where they all are, fighting to get closest to the wifi, but birding as a group. They should plan the book while they are there. Lynn Barbers blog has gone quiet for the same reason.

And thanks for the explanation on the ebird zeroes.
Regards
Chris

oh I find this hilarious:

I just opened up the latest issue of Birding magazine, and there is actually news from the president that later this month all members will be receiving ballots on voting to expand the ABA to include Hawaii. No clue on when this would formally go into effect...probably not this year.

Existing big year records would apply to the new category, "Continental ABA big year", and for the short term John and Olaf will be the record holders for both Continental and ABA. But if the vote goes through, ABA listers will have an additional ~85 possible species on the Checklist. SO...it's probably not going to take a lot of effort to break the existing records.

By the way I will totally be voting for expansion. Online I have been a vocal proponent of this change for years, for reasons of biogeography, conservation, and just because Hawaiian birds are so damn cool. I really hope it passes. The ballot survey from a few years back had inclusion of Hawaii supported by 53% of the members, with 36% opposed, and the rest neutral/no vote

oh I find this hilarious:

I just opened up the latest issue of Birding magazine, and there is actually news from the president that later this month all members will be receiving ballots on voting to expand the ABA to include Hawaii. No clue on when this would formally go into effect...probably not this year.

Existing big year records would apply to the new category, "Continental ABA big year", and for the short term John and Olaf will be the record holders for both Continental and ABA. But if the vote goes through, ABA listers will have an additional ~85 possible species on the Checklist. SO...it's probably not going to take a lot of effort to break the existing records.

By the way I will totally be voting for expansion. Online I have been a vocal proponent of this change for years, for reasons of biogeography, conservation, and just because Hawaiian birds are so damn cool. I really hope it passes. The ballot survey from a few years back had inclusion of Hawaii supported by 53% of the members, with 36% opposed, and the rest neutral/no vote

Will Greenland be considered as well? Or is that in ABA area already?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back