• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Harness (1 Viewer)

Jpidgeon

When carrying my bins all day I end up with a sore neck and was wondering whether a harness would be a good idea. Any advice?

Hi Jpidgeon, I have an Opticron Bino-harness that I don't use. You're welcome to it. Better you should use it, than it sit unloved in my cupboard. If you PM me your address I'll post it to you.

Last edited:
Thanks, thats very kind. I am wondering why you don't use it? I thought wearing a harness sounded over the top but do find wearing my binoculars all day leaves me with a sore neck. Can't decide if a harness is the answer
Jude

Thanks, thats very kind. I am wondering why you don't use it? I thought wearing a harness sounded over the top but do find wearing my binoculars all day leaves me with a sore neck. Can't decide if a harness is the answer
Jude

I find the harness a bit of a hassle. I have to take off the regular bino-lanyard to attach it, so that leaves me with no choice but to wear the harness. It means I can't simply take the binos off and sling them over my shoulder as easily as if they were around my neck. It also means that I have to adjust the harness to whatever clothes I'm wearing, and here in Ireland, no matter what the season, the standard kit is shirt, fleece and jacket. The problem then becomes, at which layer of clothing do I put on the harness? All a bit fiddly - take off jacket, take off harness, readjust strap, etc. etc. I too find 42mm binos a bit of a strain on the neck, and sometimes I carry Canon 15x50 binos. When I feel strain, I just put the binos over my shoulder or in the shoulder bag.

Thanks for that Sancho. That sounds a bit fiddly for me too. I usually carry a rucksack too which would probably make things even worse!
Perhaps I should stick to 32mm!

Thanks for that Sancho. That sounds a bit fiddly for me too. I usually carry a rucksack too which would probably make things even worse!
Perhaps I should stick to 32mm!

I got a pair of Zeiss FL 8x32 for more "casual" walking, when out with the kids or the dog. Very light. But I think their 42mm is comparatively light too. If you wear a rucksack, I think the bino-harness is a non-runner.

Thanks I've been looking at the Zeiss FL 8x32 too. But happened to try the Leica Ultravid 8x42 and thought they were fantastic. That was why I was asking about the harness. I'm really undecided what to do. Should I buy the 8x32 which I can have with me all the time or will I regret not getting 8x42. Decisions, decisions!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back