• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Scarlet Tanager? Springfield MO (1 Viewer)

Rachael Smith

I think this is a female scarlet tanager - can someone confirm? Taken a few days ago in our backyard (a parting view before we move, we've really enjoyed watching the birds out there for the last year)

Attachments

• bf female scarlet tanager 3.jpg
    bf female scarlet tanager 3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 126
  • bf female scarlet tanager 2.jpg
    bf female scarlet tanager 2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 98
  • bf female scarlet tanager 1.jpg
    bf female scarlet tanager 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 116
Hi Rachael Not sure on this but in the photo's the bird appears to have a redish tone to the plumage which would point towards Summer rather than Scarlet but not 100%

Thanks Dave, I was leaning toward Scarlett 'cause I thought the beak was too small for Summer, although it is obscured a bit in one of the shots - will wait and see if anyone else can positive id.
Rach

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back