• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D owners/BG-E2N Grip (1 Viewer)

RoyH

Hi, I am ordering my new 40D within the next week or so I was just wondering if the grip is worth buying, does the BG-E2N fit and match the 40D body ok. Best grip price todate £105 from Amazon free del. Buying the camera from W/E may talk to them for match deal but I think that will be wishful thinking.

I also have the RS80N3 cable release that I use on my 10D, will that be the same fitting, he hopes.

Regards

Roy.

I use the old BG-E2 on my 40D and wouldn't be without it - the camera (and my 30D) feel so much better in my hands with it on.

The BG-E2N will be the same in that regard...

I use the old BG-E2 on my 40D and wouldn't be without it - the camera (and my 30D) feel so much better in my hands with it on.

The BG-E2N will be the same in that regard...

Thanks Keith, I will go ahead taking your advice. You did not comment re: the cable release fitting, is the 40D the same plug fitting as your 20D, perhaps someone else will comment.

Roy.

I had a grip on my 30D and it was a significant improvement. I now have a 40D as well and the camera feels much better than the 30D - to the extent that I haven't bothered to swap the grip over. In fact, as the 30D is no longer going to have the big heavy glass mounted on it I've removed the grip from the 30D as I'd prefer to save the weight. It was a different story with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS or 100-400 mounted on the 30D, where the grip was a worthwhile addition. With the 40D I have felt quite comfortable wandering about for hours at a time, taking various photos, and not missed the grip one bit.

p.s. I was all set and willing to stump up the cash for a grip for the 40D, until I found I really didn't need it. I should add that I never bothered to take advantage of the portrait controls on the 30D with grip because I had an E1 hand strap and it was a pain in the proverbial to extract my hand and reconfigure my hold on the camera just for the odd portait shot - that plus the fact that the RC2 mount plate on the base of the camera just made it down right uncomfortable to use the portrait controls.

Last edited:
You did not comment re: the cable release fitting, is the 40D the same plug fitting as your 20D

'Coz I don't know, Roy..!

;)

I was answering from work, but my cameras were at home so I couldn't check it out - and of course I don't have a 20D.

'Coz I don't know, Roy..!

;)

I was answering from work, but my cameras were at home so I couldn't check it out - and of course I don't have a 20D.

I think they are the same. I know the 20D is the same as the 30D...so Keith, if your 40D is the same as your 30D, I think we can conclude the remote socket is the same ;)

I think they are the same. I know the 20D is the same as the 30D...so Keith, if your 40D is the same as your 30D, I think we can conclude the remote socket is the same

talking to a guy at LCE today he says the 20D grip does not fit snug? on the 40D which is why they have produced a new one specific to the 40D---

as for WE although they advertise them I rang today; none in stock, maybe end of the week but may be all spoken for! ---not a good advert really---don't know why all sellers cannot indicate on their websites whether something is in stock or not--would save a lot of hassle

talking to a guy at LCE today he says the 20D grip does not fit snug? on the 40D which is why they have produced a new one specific to the 40D---

as for WE although they advertise them I rang today; none in stock, maybe end of the week but may be all spoken for! ---not a good advert really---don't know why all sellers cannot indicate on their websites whether something is in stock or not--would save a lot of hassle

I was talking about the remote cord socket, not the grip.

Hi Graham,

Mark's actually referring to the cable release socket there (which are both "N3 type" on the 30D and 40D - and the 20D according to Google, Roy).

As to your LCE guy's advice, Graham - if he's right, nobody told my old grip and 40D that! They fit together absolutely fine.

Last edited:
yep the cable release will fit the 40D as well as the 20D i got one of ebay(Chinese version) and it work fine.7dayshop are advertizing the BG-E2N for £99 the Canon cable release is £27

40d grip/cable release

Thank you All for your advice.
I have not ordered my 40D yet, just hoping W/E still have them in stock, just returned from a two week holiday. Your right what you say, Graham C, I phoned them up a while ago to ask, why are you still advertising the Mk2 N. Check Amazon they have the BG-E2N grip for £105 free delivery....7dayshop are out of stock of both 40D and grip. Pleased to hear the cable release is going to fit.

You have all answered my questions, thank you.

Regards

Roy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back