• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushtit or Wrentit (1 Viewer)

Brian Hubbs

Bird Photographer - Species: 374
Seen in February in southern San Luis Obispo co., CA at a marsh. I always thought it was a Bushtit, but after looking at pics of both I believe this might actually be a Wrentit. Anyone know for sure?

Attachments

• ---Bushtit-DSCN6914 copy.jpg
    ---Bushtit-DSCN6914 copy.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 147
Bushtit, male - note the dark eye. Female Bushtits, and all Wrentits, have a pale iris.

The small blunt bill shape also fits Bushtit, Wrentit has a stouter / sharper, slightly downcurved bill.

Oh, and also 'at a marsh' - Wrentits are birds of low dry scrub, whereas Bushtits have a wider habitat choice :t:

Thank you, but i have a question...why do all the pics I see of Bushtit's show a gray bird with a lighter breast? Is mine brown because of the exposure, or can they be brown as well as gray?

Coastal birds (as at SLO, CA) are browner than interior birds - the ones you get in AZ are much greyer.

Edit: worth remembering this (browner in more humid coastal areas) actually applies to a lot of birds / animals - see Gloger's rule :t:

Last edited:
Thanks. That also applies to kingsnakes in southern coastal CA. For some reason the snakes get darker near the Bay area and north of there. Perhaps due to the colder climate.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back