• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro lens decisions (1 Viewer)

I'd like to have a go at macro photography with a 1:1 lens on my 30D and can't make up my mind which lens to get. I'd like to be able to stand a little way off so I don't scare off my target and I feel that a lens that didn't change length would be good. The candidates that I've thought of are the Canon 100 and 180 and the sigma 150 and 180. The Canon 100 would seem to have a rather close working distance but Aki's superb shots with it make it hard to dismiss! The Canon 180 is amazing in GPS's hands but it's pricey and I heard AF is slow. The Sigma 150 I've heard can have probs with front focus and the Sigma 180 I've not heard much about.

Any thoughts, links, (offers of free lenses B :) ) very welcome.

Thanks

Tim

I have the Canon 180, and it's superb, but a bit large. The AF is not slow, but I find that with most macro I use manual focus to control DOF. The lens allows sufficient distance between lens and subject, and with a 180 length can be pressed into service as a medium to long telephoto with the 1.4 TC. The "L" quality tells here.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back