• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIF with a taped Converter (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
The Waders are returning to my local Estuary so for me the season is just about to start. I have seen lots of post where people reckon BIF with a taped tc is a non starter - I am determined to get some BIF shots with a taped tc.Took this shot with the 30D + 400mm f5.6 + Kenko Pro 1.4tc (taped) - handheld 200 ISO 1/640 sec. I had one quick shot at this guy and the AF locked on right away.

Attachments

• curlewJ.jpg
    curlewJ.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Very nice too Roy.

I've managed the odd BIF with the TC too, and it really seems to be the case that more effort on our part improves our chances, as indeed does picking your moment - looks like goods light there.

Very nice too Roy.

I've managed the odd BIF with the TC too, and it really seems to be the case that more effort on our part improves our chances, as indeed does picking your moment - looks like goods light there.
Yeah - pretty good light Keith, I had just finished shooting some Oystercatchers while resting on a stone wall and did not have time to flip the ISO up to 400 which would have given a much faster shutter speed. Got away with it on this occasion. BTW this is almost full frame.

Roy...I just started shooting BIF with the 400 5.6...I also have the Canon 1.4 tc and have started using it with the pins taped...At first I noticed that it wants to really hunt for the focus with the tc and I was thinking that it wasn't going to work for BIF shots as it was too slow to focus with the tc. I read where Arthur Morris had said to pre-focus manually in the general area where you expect your shots to be and it would speed up the focus...I tried it and it works great...I got a nice Osprey shot this past Saturday using the 400mm with the tc this way. I got set-up on the river and noticed the distance most of the birds were travelling and I just set the focus manually in that general area...when a bird did appear...the focus would lock on like the tc wasn't on it and it would track as it usually would...try it, I think you will be surprised at the difference...:)

Roy...I just started shooting BIF with the 400 5.6...I also have the Canon 1.4 tc and have started using it with the pins taped...At first I noticed that it wants to really hunt for the focus with the tc and I was thinking that it wasn't going to work for BIF shots as it was too slow to focus with the tc. I read where Arthur Morris had said to pre-focus manually in the general area where you expect your shots to be and it would speed up the focus...I tried it and it works great...I got a nice Osprey shot this past Saturday using the 400mm with the tc this way. I got set-up on the river and noticed the distance most of the birds were travelling and I just set the focus manually in that general area...when a bird did appear...the focus would lock on like the tc wasn't on it and it would track as it usually would...try it, I think you will be surprised at the difference...:)
Don, I agree with the partial manual focusing when using a taped tc, I have been doing this for a while now. I also use this technique when a perching bird has not got enough contrast with the background for a taped tc to achieve AF. I also find that the Camera and type of tc makes a big difference.
When using the a taped tc with my 350D the lens used to hunt like mad - switching to the 30D things are much better. I have also found that the Kenko Pro 1.4 tc is better than the Canon 1.4 (dont know why but several people have reported the same).

Roy...after I made that post I figured you already knew about that...lol

I've noticed the better the light the less the lens hunts with the 1.4 tc...if I'm shooting into the sky it does pretty good but if there is a cluttered background it wants to hunt some. I didn't know that about the Kenko tc...I'll have to check into one of those...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back