• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flamborough head sites (1 Viewer)

Tiptonian

Heading for Flamborough at the weekend all being well so I've been looking at recent sightings. There's been a Bean Goose which would be a nice tick for me if it's still there - whereabouts is North Marsh on the head please, I can't see it on a map?

Park at either North Landing or the head and walk toward the other until you come to a screen halfway round.

There's a slightly updated version of this map on the FBO facebook site. Basically its this map with a couple of extra locations highlighted which get used for reporting birds (motorway, cattlemere etc).

Does anyone know why Old Fall at Flamborough is signed as New Fall on the wooden sign posts? Or, perhaps I should ask why is New Fall referred to as Old Fall by birders?

A reply has been put on the Yorkshire thread. Looks like the simple answer is, they just go the signs wrong, they should read Old Fall.

I've always understood it to be New Fall Hedgerow and Old Fall Plantation - in theory birds fresh in find the hedgerow and eventually move to the wood, so the signs are correct to refer to New Fall as it's the footpath down the field to the cliff.

Last edited:
I've always understood it to be New Fall Hedgerow and Old Fall Plantation - in theory birds fresh in find the hedgerow and eventually move to the wood, so the signs are correct to refer to New Fall as it's the footpath down the field to the cliff.

You're saying that when a fall of birds occurs they know to land in the 'new fall' location and when they've been there a while they can then move on to the 'old fall' location to make way for new arrivals? Like it :t:

You're saying that when a fall of birds occurs they know to land in the 'new fall' location and when they've been there a while they can then move on to the 'old fall' location to make way for new arrivals? Like it :t:

No..........I'm saying that this is why the landmarks are so named historically. Although if you care to test the theory holistically the Yellow-browed's that are found well inland probably arrive first on a coastal headland. New Fall Flamborough / Old Fall Birmingham. I have seen birds reorientate to the deeper cover Old Fall Plantation affords, but yes birds will arrive there.
However they're just names. Pleaae don't be disappointed if you don't see an Icky on every visit to Icky Ridge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back