• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August-November England and Wales (1 Viewer)

I've forgotten how empty the New Forest feels -- nearly 2 hours walking in Denny Wood from campground trail and only heard 5 species, and standard ones at that. Managed to see robins and blackbirds only.

Re: Wales black guillemot Sounds like most of the black guillemots are either long gone or only up in Anglesea right now, unless I'm missing something?

Had 7 willow tits at Cors Caron wetland area, was the most abundant bird of the day. Too bad there was little else, didn't even get 10 species.

Randomly encountered a water rail at the Welsh Wildlife Centre (Teifi) today, tried for little stint but couldn't find any (or any waders for that matter). A big place though, I need to learn the trails...

Little Stint, Pectoral Sandpiper and Curlew Sandpiper being reported from Goldcliff yesterday SW. CS and LS reported from Llanelli WWT.

Rich

Nice but unfortunately I don't have driving ability at present :-C. Pectoral isn't even on my "possible in a million years" list.

Damn I really need to be at Keyhaven and Titchfield Haven right now...

PS where are these reports coming from? Other than old blogs I can't find anything.

Will do. I feel like I'm going to miss little stint again this year, perhaps they'll stay until late October when I can run over to Titchfield Haven or Pennington.

And thanks whoever rated the thread 5 stars ;)

Back in Southampton until Nov. 14th. Hopefully the winter birds will hurry up so I can start finding them before I leave.

My current aim in the remaining time will be trying to find the following, but considering I did not manage to see (or hear) any of my late summer targets I'm not hopeful :t:

Pintail -- Purple Sandpiper -- Jack Snipe
Spotted Redshank -- Little Stint -- Yellow-legged Gull
Bittern -- Black Guillemot (no chance? Portland?) -- Little Gull
Eider -- Long-tailed Duck -- Smew
Golden Plover -- Redwing -- Brambling
Hawfinch -- Water Pipit -- Ring Ouzel
Tree Sparrow -- Twite -- Lapland Bunting
Yellow Wagtail -- Owls
All winter geese and swans (Barnacle, Bean, Pink-footed, Whooper, Bewick's)
Lesser-spotted Woodpecker
Black Redstart
Firecrest
Dotterel ? (Left? Still in the UK? I know very little about them)

Most of the time will be following both http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp and suggestions already posted here. As usual, all information and help appreciated. Ring ouzels seem to be everywhere, though I've followed a few sightings and not had any luck yet.

Ashamed to be a UK birder for so long, have very little to show for it with my <100 list over 11 years!

If you could get up to northeast England, the ones in bold would be easy to get:
Yellow Wagtail -- Owls
Black Redstart
Firecrest
And yes, Dotterel will be gone now.

Ack missed out at hawfinch at Blackwater again. Stayed from 2pm until it turned black after 6. Are they roosting some where else or is it too early?

Heard a lesser spot off in the distance today, can't say I feel any closer to actually encountering this species. Been shown a few local spots where they once persisted in decent numbers, though they haven't been seen or heard at all for a few years.

Ack missed out at hawfinch at Blackwater again. Stayed from 2pm until it turned black after 6. Are they roosting some where else or is it too early?

They ought to be there, bad luck. Try again is all I can suggest.

Alternatively there's a place over in Romsey that gets them every winter, Mercer Way (see google maps) drive to the very end and then look in the park hedges beyond there. Normally is five or so but one recent winter there were thirty plus.

John

Checking my database I have been to Blackwater Arboretum in the New Forest 24 times over the years between early November and late March and seen Hawfinch 20 of those times.

The four misses were either because I was too early or late in the season or too early in the afternoon. Most years I visit sometime in January and February when the Hawfinches are almost guaranteed between 1500 and 1600.

I know thats not much use use if you are visiting the UK and won't be around in the winter. I have the same problem with American Tree Sparrow, always told that they are easy if you were to come to the ABA area in winter.

Ian

Thanks for that. I expect to revisit Blackwater before I go, and I'll have a look at the Romsey site too.

I understand that November is still early to have a decent shot a few winter birds notably brambling, glaucous gull, etc. I imagine I will have to make a more dedicated bird visit in the future. Can't have yellow wagtail and firecrest missing from my list forever.

Back in Southampton until Nov. 14th. Hopefully the winter birds will hurry up so I can start finding them before I leave.

My current aim in the remaining time will be trying to find the following, but considering I did not manage to see (or hear) any of my late summer targets I'm not hopeful :t:

Yellow Wagtail -- Owls
Black Redstart
Firecrest

Just noticed your wish list in an earlier post.

In Dorset there is a Long-tailed Duck at Radipole RSPB, Weymouth and 2 at Abbotsbury Swannery.
A number of Black Redstarts have been seen at Portland and elsewhere in Dorset, Firecrests are widespread at the moment too. Try Portland or the south end of the car park at Knoll Beach, Studland where there has also been a Yellow-browed Warbler.
Tawny Owls are very vocal at the moment - any wood would do
Short-eared Owls seen at Portland and Wyke Down which is near Sixpenny Handly
Black Guillemot is showing in Portland Harbour seen from Portland Castle.
Purple Sands should be arriving soon at Portland Bill, the Cobb at Lyme Regis or if you are lucky, the north side of the Studland chain ferry.

Ian

Thanks for that!

As a PS, I got purple sand and pintail earlier this week, so not a total loss yet. Interesting about the brambling, I never associated them with beech forests. I've been going through their calls recently so hopefully it will pay off then--though can't think of any decent beech forests in the New Forest. Perhaps Denny Wood?

Hoping to do Portland soon. I'd like to think the tystie will stick around, wasn't seen today apparently.

though can't think of any decent beech forests in the New Forest.

WHAT?????

Have a wander along the road from Emery Down towards Bolderwood: loads of Beech there. Park at Acres Down and walk straight on down the track instead of up onto the Down: loads of Beech there. Try almost any bit of woodland on the East side of Stoney Cross disused airfield: plenty of Beech there.

Enough Beech out the back end of Blackwater Arboretum to make it a spot for Brambling as well as Hawfinch.

Finally, the feeders at Blashford outside the visitor centre get Bramblings most winters, and they have been seen around the woodland hide as well.

Good hunting!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back