• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shawell Tip (1 Viewer)

Nice 2w Caspian Gull on the main A5 lake standing on the ice. I was just settling in to scan through the hundreds of gulls on what is now completely frozen apart from a small patch near the footpath when the guns of Naverone went off and they all scarpered.

Last edited:
Just when I thought they'd gone extinct ..... a Med Gull. A green colour ringed bird (left leg) with metal above the right knee. I didn't have my zoom EP so couldn't read it. Last years adult also had a green ring so it could be a returning bird. Also ad Caspian and 2 Yellow-legged gulls.

Attachments

• Med.jpg
    Med.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 68
Assuming you were Albert today Dave, sounds like the Glauc & Caspian's were still there, any pics?

At Shawell today adult Med Gull and 2 Yellow legs but gull numbers seemed really low despite the tip operating today.

The Med Gull was ringed in Hamburg, Germany, precise details awaited. Other birds from that scheme have been seen this week in Great Yarmouth.

Attachments

• med ad.jpg
    med ad.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 60
Sorry about the Glauc Dave, perhaps it's on its way south!
I took a leaf out of Steve Lister's book and using a 75x EP managed to read 4 colour rings today. One was the Med Gull ringed in Hamburg, Germany. The others were all Lesser Black-backs. Here's the story of just one, courtesy of Peter Stewart:-
Lesser Black-backed Gull
FH21367 N 10 Ringed 22/11/08 SGD Stoke Orchard landfill site, Gloucestershire. 51.56N 02.06W
S 12 Sighted 07/02/09 RC Stubbers Green, Aldridge, West Midlands (77 km, N, 77 days)
O 12 Sighted 12/11/09 JDS Grundons landfill site, Gloucestershire (2 km, N, 355 days)
O 12 Sighted 17/11/09 JDS Grundons landfill site, Gloucestershire (2 km, N, 360 days)
O 12 Sighted 05/12/09 JDS Grundons landfill site, Gloucestershire (2 km, N, 1 yr 13days)
O 12 Sighted 10/12/09 JDS Grundons landfill site, Gloucestershire (2 km, N, 1 yr 18days)
O 12 Sighted 03/01/10 PFS Throckmorton landfill site, Worcestershire (22 km, N, 1 yr 42days)
S 12 Sighted 07/01/10 SH Shawell landfill site, Leicestershire (82 km, NE, 1 yr 46days)

I'm hoping it's brought the Ring-billed Gull with it from Throckmorton.

Last edited:
Also forgot to say in the last thread I saw two ringed Herring Gulls at Albert Village Lake. One with a yelllow ring on its left leg and the other with a red ring on the same leg.
Cheers,
Dave.

No more than your effort deserved Dave :t:

How would you judge the apparent number of Gulls at Albert Village? I managed a few minutes at Shawell today and, like yesterday, the numbers of large gulls seems to be well down. Only 2 Yellow-legged Gulls seen today.

cheers
Neil

Hi Neil, good numbers of large Gulls at Albert Village Lake and thousands of BH and Common Gulls!
It took me over an hour to find the Glaucous Gull as I think it spent most of the morning on the nearby Tip.
I would imagine that there's probably is a Med Gull in this large flock, but I concentrated on the large gulls for most of the time!

Thanks Dave
The 2nd W eye shows up nicely on the Glauc. Any pics of the Caspians?
Meant to add to my post about Gull numbers. I think they are down at Shawell because many bin collections were canceled due to the snow (no comment) and when I went on Friday there were no dumpers dumping so presumably ... no food ... no birds is probably the truth of it.
Neil

Last edited:
Steve was at Shawell yesterday and there were no gulls (Sunday can often be hit and miss). Today the tip was working again and the birds were back but as with many 'post weekend' visits the mix looked different, suggesting the departure of some and the arrival of others. There were for instance no colour ringed birds on the ice whereas last week there were many. There was a smart 1stW Caspian which I'd not seen before so this is probably new.

Attachments

• 1stW.jpg
    1stW.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Ring-billed Gull this afternoon at Shawell!!

Myself and Neil Hagley checked out Shawell GPs Balancing Pool by the A5 this afternoon. Almost the first bird I got on to was an adult Ring-billed Gull in the gull flock.
So over the next half an hour Neil and myself made sure it was an adult Ring-billed and ticked off all the important features and then phoned out the news of the bird.
Other gulls we saw at this site included at least 3 Caspian Gulls (2 Adts and 1 2nd Winter) and up to 3 Yellow legs.
Thanks to Neil for his help on the bird and the Groby crew who joined us later!
In due course I will add a couple of photos of the bird.
Cheers,
Dave.
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com/

Hi all, here is a few shots of the Ring-billed Gull at Shawell Balancing Lake this afternoon.
If this record is accepted? It will be only the sixth record for Leicestershire & Rutland!
Cheers,
Dave.

Attachments

• Ring-billed Gull 1 Shawell Jan 21.10.jpg
    Ring-billed Gull 1 Shawell Jan 21.10.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Ring-billed Gull 2 Shawell.jpg
    Ring-billed Gull 2 Shawell.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 87
  • Ring-billed Gull 3 Shawell.jpg
    Ring-billed Gull 3 Shawell.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 104
Nice one Dave and Neil, now all we have to do is find it at Draycote :eek!:
Tim tried this evening but I think by the time it left Shawell (if it went with most of the other gulls) he was battling with the light.

Regards

John

Here's the story of just one, courtesy of Peter Stewart:-
Lesser Black-backed Gull
FH21367 N 10 Ringed 22/11/08 SGD Stoke Orchard landfill site, Gloucestershire. 51.56N 02.06W

S 12 Sighted 03/01/10 PFS Throckmorton landfill site, Worcestershire (22 km, N, 1 yr 42days)

S 12 Sighted 07/01/10 SH Shawell landfill site, Leicestershire (82 km, NE, 1 yr 46days)

I'm hoping it's brought the Ring-billed Gull with it from Throckmorton.

Well I never! Funilly enough Dave will tell you that the only feature I was umming & ahhing over was the broadness of the white on the lower tertials but the pic I've seen of the Throckmorton bird seems to show this too, so perhaps it did follow the LBBG after all.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder if it's the same RB Gull that was at Priorslee Lake in Telford recently. Commuting along the A5 possibly?

Hi Richard, I think the Ring-billed has probably come from Throckmorton, Worcs looking at the photos?
Also looking at your blog, Albert Village Lake is usually better in the week, as the tip is closed on the sunday!
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Richard, I think the Ring-billed has probably come from Throckmorton, Worcs looking at the photos?
Also looking at your blog, Albert Village Lake is usually better in the week, as the tip is closed on the sunday!
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave,

I agree that the RBG is likely to be the Throckmorton bird. The head pattern appears similar with that white inner 'semi-collar' formed by the dark streaking. It hasn't been seen at Throckmorton since January 3rd and before its initial appearance there on December 27th it had been noted at Gloucester landfill site, so it would appear there is a link along the Severn/Avon valley.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back