• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shawell Tip (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

Shawell is back on stream, bird-wise and Saturday p.m looks like a good time to visit.The tip was open but I don't think it operates in the afternoon. By the time I arrived around 14:30 the birds were fairly undisturbed and settled. During the week a combination of machines, humans and falconers often makes viewing difficult although the balancing lakes are good at any time. One change since last season is that the footpath opposite the Redland site has been diverted so it's about 250m along the old path before it's possible to see anything.
There are LOTS of gulls there. There are a few Yellow-legged at least one Caspian. It will only get better!

Last edited:
Shawell is back on stream, bird-wise and Saturday p.m looks like a good time to visit.The tip was open but I don't think it operates in the afternoon. By the time I arrived around 14:30 the birds were fairly undisturbed and settled. During the week a combination of machines, humans and falconers often makes viewing difficult although the balancing lakes are good at any time. One change since last season is that the footpath opposite the Redland site has been diverted so it's about 250m along the old path before it's possible to see anything.
There are LOTS of gulls there. There are a few Yellow-legged at least one Caspian. It will only get better!

Despite only being "up the road", this is a site I rarely visit. Must put this right! Previously, I have only viewed the balancing lakes from the road to Shawell, and the other lakes from the A5 by the Newton turn. Is the tip accessible as it has always been working on my few visits?

Despite only being "up the road", this is a site I rarely visit. Must put this right! Previously, I have only viewed the balancing lakes from the road to Shawell, and the other lakes from the A5 by the Newton turn. Is the tip accessible as it has always been working on my few visits?

There's no access to the tip but the face they are now working on is at the western edge so it's easy to see from the footpath. On the Google maps link below there is a footpath/bridle path running south to north on the obvious boundary between the 'workings' to the east and farmland to the west (north of Gibbet Lane). There is a diversion notice and a timber screen but as I'm thinking it is for future expansion and the site is still fenced off I just walked along the old path to view. Hope this helps, cheers Neil

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...422667,-1.217294&spn=0.00738,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Last edited:
Lesson number 2 .... Sunday is not so good, although I did expect that. Probably 200-300 gulls with a lot of coming and going. Only one Yellow-legged but a stunning adult Caspian which was different to yesterdays bird.

Managed to get down to Shawell this afternoon. Very few gulls at the tip but 2 Woodcock flushed from the hedge line on the walk down and the pale rumped Buzzard seen again as it flew from the same hedge. Lots of gulls on the pool by the A5 but most of them were departing (to Draycote?) as I was arriving. A first winter Caspian Gull dropped in, drank and bathed before heading off south. Most surprising bird of the day was a Brent Goose on the pool. Along with the other wildfowl it was flushed by something at about 3.35 and flew north.

Managed a quick look early afternoon at the main A5 pool only. It was covered with gulls today. At least 4 Yellow-legged but couldn't see anything better. Several nice darvic rings visible on birds out of the water, I will try to note some when I have more time.

Great to see a thread for the Shawell area! :t:

When I and some muckers of mine visited this area last winter, looking for Kumlien's Gull (which didn't appear), instead we found an adult Med Gull and Red Kite. :t:

Too windy to see much today but managed a quick look before a meeting in Kilworth. At least 3 ad type Y-L Gull and 1st winter Med Gull. Also a B H Gull in near full breeding plumage was a bit of a surprise . A good place to look just now is near the access to the tip where lots of gulls day roost on a newly flattened area fairly clos to Gibbet Lane. Several LBBG's with darvics just out of range of my 30X EP. The pale rumped Buzzard was there again and could be mistaken for Rough -legged.

Shawell 27th November

Hi Neil

Glad to see you have a thread for Shawell. Went there today for a brief visit but the tip did not seem very productive from the road. I guess viewing from the footpath to the left would be best.
Called in at the pool at the bottom of the old Redlands works near the A5 and this was full of large gull's on the water and loafing about at the far end this area looks great for this winter. Restrictive viewing from the footpath and I didn't want to test out how far I could walk before I lost sight of them on the edge of the water or make them take flight. All I could find was an adult Yellow-legged Gull.
A few Caspian appearing at Draycote and Iceland at Pitsford, wonder if the Kumlien's will make a return trip.

Regards

John

Hi John, good to hear from you.
I went there too late morning and had 3 ad YL Gulls on the large pool. There were just as many gulls on the lower pool but I didn't have time to check. The best views are from within the trees on the embankment along the A5 but in all honesty you have to be very careful walking the 100 yards or so up the hill before the obvious gap becomes visible. It provides good shelter from wind & rain and the views are excellent. As far the tip goes all the work is being done further round so the views from the road are not good this season. See my note above on the footpath. I didn't have time to check the tip today I'm afraid. I'm out ringing tomorrow but hope to try Sunday although with no tipping it may be rubbish (excuse the pun).
cheers
Neil

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the info re the footpath. I have not been to Shawell this season yet as I've been too busy but I am planning to 'do a bit' in the new year. As John says we have had a couple of adult Caspian Gulls at Draycote, one larger and longer billed than the other so presumably a male and female. Martin Elliott thinks there may be a lot of Caspians around this autumn (he has had 4 on West Penwith when I think there has only been one previous Cornish record). Gary Pullan has had one at Stanford recently (which could easily be a Shawell bird) as well as birds at Boddington and Daventry, all of which have been in the daytime not at roosts.

Nice one with the Brent Goose by the way, I reckon the footpath through the quarry could repay some effort in spring or autumn.

Cheers.

Good selection of gulls at Shawell lunchtime today. Andy Smith & I logged at least 6 Yellow-legged Gulls and this lovely second winter Caspian. These were at the A5 pool not the tip.

Attachments

• 2wCasp.jpg
    2wCasp.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Good selection of gulls at Shawell lunchtime today. Andy Smith & I logged at least 6 Yellow-legged Gulls and this lovely second winter Caspian. These were at the A5 pool not the tip.

Hi Neil, I went to the site yesterday and saw a nice adult Yellow-legged Gull on the balancing pool and not much else except for 1000+ gulls (mostly LBBG and BHG)!
On a stubble field next to the tip via the bridle-path I also saw a small group of Tree Sparrows and 40+ Skylarks.
Cheers,
Dave. :t:

Thanks Dave. I'd heard Tree Sparrows in the hedge down there but hadn't actually seen them, good stuff. I went to the A5 pool this lunchtime. Yet again some smart Y-L Gulls but nothing else. The lower pool had far more gulls on it than the main one but I think it's too dangerous to walk up there from down the hill so anything good went undetected.

I've now decided that I'll stick to the main pool and wait for stuff to come to me. I've tried various permutations and it seems that a lot of time and leg work can be wasted for what are often poor and fleeting views up near the tip. On the basis that all the decent birds do eventually drop in at the main pool, 'let the mountain come' etc. The area inside the A5 embankment is yielding some of the best views I've ever had of large gulls. The light is usually from behind and the birds are often remarkably close and don't seem to be disturbed.
cheers
Neil

After all I said yesterday I couldn't resist a look at the lower pool today and I'm glad I did. This is a good option but you'll need to park in the small layby on the left down the hill (i.e further south along the A5) and walk back up a short distance to view the pool and the sheep fields where a large number of gulls were loafing about at lunchtime. Over 6 Y-L Gulls again and a Caspian in the sheep field. The layby can only take one car mind and it's opposite the three storey house at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...0561,-1.214681&spn=0.000826,0.002406&t=h&z=19

At last, a white winger in the shape of an immature Iceland Gull. It was on the grass ridge north east of the main A5 pool at 3 PM. From the A5 it was pretty distant and foggy so views weren't brilliant but still the first of the winter.

Nothing of note on the pool and for the first time in weeks I couldn't find a Y-L G. The other thing, after that single 1stW a few weeks back, I can't buy a Med Gull to save my life , where are they?

Attachments

• ice.jpg
    ice.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
At last, a white winger in the shape of an immature Iceland Gull. It was on the grass ridge north east of the main A5 pool at 3 PM. From the A5 it was pretty distant and foggy so views weren't brilliant but still the first of the winter.

Well done Neil,will have a look tomorrow morning for white winger!:t:

Nice one Neil, guess we will eventually get it at Draycote sometime ;)
On another point I wondered if you knew who owns the pools as it would be great if a hide or screen could be put up there and certainly far safer than walking the A5.

Regards

John

Nice one Neil, guess we will eventually get it at Draycote sometime ;)
On another point I wondered if you knew who owns the pools as it would be great if a hide or screen could be put up there and certainly far safer than walking the A5.

Regards

John
Good thought John
I'm pretty sure it's Redland, so I'll see what I can come up with, especially as large company's often have a bit of a 'green' budget.
cheers
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back