• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whiskered Tern ? South India , December 2012 (1 Viewer)

Biju.P.B

Hi, would be greatful if someone can pour some light on the question.. regards, Biju

Attachments

• DSC_8382a.jpg
    DSC_8382a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 125
It´s a very small tern. Little or Saunder ´s or another tiny species I don ´t know. I have no real knowledge of Indian birds.

Why would this not be Whiskered Tern? It's the commonest tern wintering in southern India according to my India books. It's the right colour for winter plumage - black bill with reddish legs and a grey/black cap. (Little has yellow legs and Saunder's brown, I think). It's small (23-29 cm compared with 22-28 for Little a/c Mark Brazil's book) and has a short tail.

White-winged Tern would also be a possibility according to the books, but I think this has a bigger black 'blob' behind the eye, and I think the legs don't show red like this.

The legs are wrong for Gull-billed, and it would look much chunkier, I think.

Some Whiskered Terns passed through my patch in central Japan last 1st October presumably blown off course by a major typhoon. They stayed on our pond for about ten days. (Not many pass through Japan, and then normally along the west coast, a long way away: scarce in Autumn, rare in Spring a/c Brazil; this was the first time for me to see them.)

The poster's bird seems to have a slightly larger bill, and a little less colour in the wings than the birds I saw, but but I don't see why it wouldn't be in the range of variation.

Then last weekend, on 31st March, we found that three of them had come to visit us on their way back home again! Exactly six months later.

The head pattern looks right for Whiskered and discounting the apparent 'long' bill (I think this is due to the forehead feathers being strongly in moult) the bills the right shape. The bird also has a grey rump which would be right for Whiskered as would the underwing pattern. The pattern on the upper primaries is wrong though with the dark wedge on the leading edge. Whiskered has a dark trailing edge from the wing tip to halfway along the primaries with a 'peak' at the inner end. The fact that the bird seems to be growing new secondaries, and they are showing a juv / 1st w pattern is strange. Are there anymore photos, preferably in flight?

Chris

Sorry but this is definitely no Whiskered tern. And definitely Little or Saunder's.

Whiskered has quite a powerful and stubby bill, almost approaching Gull-billed tern sometimes. Here, the bill is very long and slender. The feathering seems quite close to the nostril therefore moult can't account for the bill length (btw the only obvious sign of moult I can detect is on the inner primaries).

The legs are very thin too.

Perhaps the easiest way to rule out the Chlidonias terns is the wings shape: they are way too narrow and pointed!

Hi.. Here's the picture of the same bird. Unfortunately, no other shots available with me.

Attachments

• DSC_8463.jpg
    DSC_8463.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 59
Indeed this is a Little Tern (or perhaps Saunder's).
In addition to the characters already mentioned, note also the very broad pale tips and pale fringes to the secondaries, quite unlike any Whiskered Tern.

Thanks. Just shows what looking too hard at a single photo can do. The second photo shows the jizz perfectly. The birds definitely Saunders / Little and by the, just showing, grey on the centre of the uppertail coverts it's more than likely Saunders.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back