• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo in Goa, India (1 Viewer)

zanderkay

India
Hi. I live in South Goa , India. I saw a cuckoo a few days ago and took a couple of photos. I'm having trouble identifying the exact species. I think it may be a lesser cuckoo but could also be an Indian cuckoo, both of which would be a rare find in my area. It seemed to be hiding in some tall grassy area in an abandoned plot near my house. I would really appreciate some help with identifying it. Have attached the pics. Sorry that they are a bit blurred.

Attachments

• DSCF6193_061255.JPG
    DSCF6193_061255.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 56
  • DSCF6192_060948.JPG
    DSCF6192_060948.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 53
  • DSCF6195_062009.JPG
    DSCF6195_062009.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 56
  • DSCF6194_061654.JPG
    DSCF6194_061654.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 58
Common Cuckoo - BirdForum Opus would have to be excluded. Some links:
Have fun!

EDIT: Do you have any more photos, no matter how obscured by vegetation (even blurry ones)?

EDIT 2: Thanks @Earnest lad for your very useful query.

EDIT 3: Just in case, did it make any sound?

EDIT 4: Other criteria: https://ebird.org/india/checklist/S150975478

Last edited:
Common Cuckoo - BirdForum Opus would have to be excluded. Some links:
Have fun!

EDIT: Do you have any more photos, no matter how obscured by vegetation (even blurry ones)?

EDIT 2: Thanks @Earnest lad for your very useful query.

EDIT 3: Just in case, did it make any sound?

EDIT 4: Other criteria: https://ebird.org/india/checklist/S150975478
Thanks for all that info. I'm sure it is not a common cuckoo because of the dark eye. My difficulty is in judging the size. I know that lesser cuckoo is smaller than an Indian cuckoo, but having never seen either, I'm unable to judge whether this would be considered smaller or not. But it did have wider spacing between the bars. And a thin bill. Which makes me think it is lesser cuckoo. But not compact or stubby like the description that one person has given on ebird. It looked slender to me. Unfortunately these are the only photos I got. It was quite difficult to get even these coz it was well hidden in thick foliage. And no , it did not make any sound.

Thanks for all that info. I'm sure it is not a common cuckoo because of the dark eye. My difficulty is in judging the size. I know that lesser cuckoo is smaller than an Indian cuckoo, but having never seen either, I'm unable to judge whether this would be considered smaller or not. But it did have wider spacing between the bars. And a thin bill. Which makes me think it is lesser cuckoo. But not compact or stubby like the description that one person has given on ebird. It looked slender to me. Unfortunately these are the only photos I got. It was quite difficult to get even these coz it was well hidden in thick foliage. And no , it did not make any sound.
I'm thinking it could even be a juvenile Indian cuckoo which would explain the smaller size?

If you look at the undertail pattern, Indian is supposed to have two thick black bands: one at the end (terminal) and one towards the end (subterminal) of the tail (mentioned in Why This Cuckoo Is Lesser Cuckoo - Shanghai Birding 上海观鸟 and Indian Cuckoo ID Basics - Shanghai Birding 上海观鸟).

You can see examples of Indian Cuckoo's undertail pattern here:

I'm thinking it could even be a juvenile Indian cuckoo which would explain the smaller size?
I don't think there would be such a size difference among fully-feathered birds, but I don't know. Ascribing the species here by size alone would be tricky, anyway.

Lesser also appears to be the expected un-Common Cuculus cuckoo, but better wait for expert confirmation. As far as I can tell, Lesser Cuckoo would be an uncommon migrant, while Indian Cuckoo would be an uncommon resident. Whatever it turns out to be, congratulations on your find and a very interesting bird.

EDIT: I should suppose a yellow gape means juvenile (unless it's moulting into immature plumage, maybe).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025-133431_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025-133431_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20231025-133502_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025-133502_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for all your help.
If you look at the undertail pattern, Indian is supposed to have two thick black bands: one at the end (terminal) and one towards the end (subterminal) of the tail (mentioned in Why This Cuckoo Is Lesser Cuckoo - Shanghai Birding 上海观鸟 and Indian Cuckoo ID Basics - Shanghai Birding 上海观鸟).

You can see examples of Indian Cuckoo's undertail pattern here:

I don't think there would be such a size difference among fully-feathered birds, but I don't know. Ascribing the species here by size alone would be tricky, anyway.

Lesser also appears to be the expected un-Common Cuculus cuckoo, but better wait for expert confirmation. As far as I can tell, Lesser Cuckoo would be an uncommon migrant, while Indian Cuckoo would be an uncommon resident. Whatever it turns out to be, congratulations on your find and a very interesting bird.

EDIT: I should suppose a yellow gape means juvenile (unless it's moulting into immature plumage, maybe).
I use the merlin app too. 😊 The undertail pattern bit was helpful. I'm still not sure but leaning towards lesser cuckoo. Hope I see one again though it seems highly unlikely. Thanks again.

It is a juvenile Cuculus based on the presence of white feathers on the head and extensive white tipping to scapulars, wing coverts and remiges. Indian can be eliminated straight away by the absence of a thick black subterminal tail band (present in all ages) and because the white tipping is far too discreet, even at this late date. Juvenile displays extensive broader buff or buffish-white feathering to head, nape, scapulars and wing coverts + underparts are wholly buffish with barring restricted to sides https://ebird.org/checklist/S73284294 the extent of these white feathers will reduce as the bird progresses post juvenile moult, so by Nov see ML466647421 - Indian Cuckoo - Macaulay Library Further, Indian is unique amongst Cuculus in lacking an hepatic morph vs very common in Lesser.

The images are not the easiest to assess, but on balance, I would cautiously suggest Lesser based on a combination of rather stubby bill, pronounced gapeline, underpart barring and overall compact appearance. Eye colour is tricky to assess since the bird is in shadow.

Grahame

It is a juvenile Cuculus based on the presence of white feathers on the head and extensive white tipping to scapulars, wing coverts and remiges. Indian can be eliminated straight away by the absence of a thick black subterminal tail band (present in all ages) and because the white tipping is far too discreet, even at this late date. Juvenile displays extensive broader buff or buffish-white feathering to head, nape, scapulars and wing coverts + underparts are wholly buffish with barring restricted to sides https://ebird.org/checklist/S73284294 the extent of these white feathers will reduce as the bird progresses post juvenile moult, so by Nov see ML466647421 - Indian Cuckoo - Macaulay Library Further, Indian is unique amongst Cuculus in lacking an hepatic morph vs very common in Lesser.

The images are not the easiest to assess, but on balance, I would cautiously suggest Lesser based on a combination of rather stubby bill, pronounced gapeline, underpart barring and overall compact appearance. Eye colour is tricky to assess since the bird is in shadow.

Grahame
Thanks alot Grahame! That was indeed a detailed response. Very helpful. Appreciate it. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back