• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which one would you choose.... (1 Viewer)

D0c

I have been using an old Kowa TSN2 for some time now and have reached the stage that I need an upgrade. I'n really into my birding at the moment and have decided to sell some astro gear and purchase a very good spotting scope.

I have a budget of £2400 and would like a first class instrutment, the choices I think are:

Kowa 883
Leica Televid 82
Carl Zeiss Diascope 85mm
Swarovski ATM80 HD

The only one I have looked through is the Swarovski which to be honest knocked my socks off, I couldn't believe how clear and bright it was compared to my old Kowa.

I would like in time to do digiscoping as well.

I make regular trips to Norfolk so seawatching is important.

Any thoughts on the above.

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum! If seawatching is important I would go with the big Zeiss with a choice of 20-75x zoom. Seawatching as birds and ships? The Kowa 88 is a very good choice, they have good reviews of people that actually own them on here. A used Nikon 82 Fieldscope as well.

As a Swarovski owner, and a sea-watcher, I'd go for the Kowa 883 with zoom-eyepiece.
The Zeiss seems to be a bit of an unknown factor with, relatively few owners here; The Swaro's helical focussing can be a bind with gloves on especially on some tripods (my Gitzo) where there is little finger-room when encased in a stay-on cover. Optically I don't think any of these will be anything other than superb but try-before-you-buy!!
Russ

Thanks guys.

Those are basically the two I've narrowed it down to. I like the idea of the extra reach of the Zeiss x75 and from what I've read it's very sharp at that mag right to the edges.

The new focus arrangement of the Zeiss might take some getting used to, but then I felt the helical focuser a tad strange on the Swaro.

Also is the extra expense of the Leica Televid 82 really worth it, is this scope in a different league then it's peers?

I've searched and searched the web for reviews and only found a few have you guys got any links.

I would add one more scope into the mix before parting with the hard-earned.

That is the new Meopta 82APO fluorite, can't remember the model S2 I think. This has a helical focusser so maybe not for you.

Positives are a wide 30-60 zoom eyepiece and a 20-70 zoom as well for extra reach.

I tried out the 30-60 zoom at the Birdfair and was pretty impressed.

IMHO the Leica is not worth the extra the Swaro is just as good and lighter if you want a wide 25-50 zoom.

I would want to star test a scope to try and get a reasonable specimen if I was spending £2400. Something to think about if you haven't already.

If you go for the Swaro then I'd recomend the 25-50x zoom, it's awesome. I wouldn't go for the Leica, yes it's good but I found the image a little "cold" compared to the Swaro. Best to try them all as it's mainly a personal preference as they are all good.I think it's generally agreed that the Kowa is the best optically but not by much!

Meopta I thought made old cameras and rifle scopes but I've just googled and even though there is limited info the scope does look good, I did come across an article that says Meopta made the glass for Leica, I don't know if this is correct or not but if so, It's something worth considering.

I would love to test drive these scopes before I buy, so a trip to various dealers is on the cards or to a few Bird fairs as well.

It's alot of money to part with, and then have a duff model.

I was down Attenborough today looking at the Squacco Heron and saw a young lady with the Zeiss 65 Diascope so I asked for a look through it and I was impressed, very clear and incredibly sharp right to the edge. She only had the x20-60 eyepiece but it gave me a fair idea what one performed like.

The Kowa has an edge in aperture with the 88 mm objective...despite the Meopta APO "fluorite " commendation ,I dont think other but the Kowa uses a pure Fluorite crystal lens in the objective..Actually the 77 mm version of the Kowa ,using the higher grade ED glass available (O´hara FPL 53),is maybe ,being almost as large in aperture as the other contenders,another scope to consider,.It is cheaper than the 88 and sure to be excellent

From your list I have the Swaro 80HD with 25-50 zoom. It is truly a great combination, and I've no need for a fixed eyepiece. I like the helical focuser, just a matter of personal preference.
I used to have a Zeiss 85 (the older silver version), and used a Zeiss 20-60 zoom with it. This was also a great combination, but I tired of the slighly yellow cast (very prevalent on overcast days, I found), and I don't like dual focussers (I find I only use the "fine-focus"). I also got a Baader-Hyperion astro zoom for the Zeiss, this was abou 21-63x and a truly wonderful zoom too. But it didn't eliminate the yellow cast.
Both scopes are excellent, but I prefer the Swaro. Another consideration is that Swaro after-sales service is very fast, highly efficient and very courteous.

The Kowa has an edge in aperture with the 88 mm objective...despite the Meopta APO "fluorite " commendation ,I dont think other but the Kowa uses a pure Fluorite crystal lens in the objective..Actually the 77 mm version of the Kowa ,using the higher grade ED glass available (O´hara FPL 53),is maybe ,being almost as large in aperture as the other contenders,another scope to consider,.It is cheaper than the 88 and sure to be excellent

There was a Meopta technician at the Birdfair and he was very definite about the objective lens being fluorite...

According to my local optics dealer Meopta are a very good company...

Been discussed many times before here. The only current known source for Fluorite crystal CaF2 is Canon Optron in Japan. Meopta is most likely using FK51A, a FLUORIDE-based GLASS from Schott Germany.

FWIW, I use Kowa 883/884/774 now, primarily for digiscoping. For your seawatching application, I would probably go with the Nikon ED82 w/75x Wide MC and/or the 25-75x MCII zoom. I would favor it over the new Zeiss simply because it is lighter weight and much cheaper.

Last edited:
Swaro.... I love the helical focus, ... The only one that has that focus type. Also for digiscoping, the Swaro has the DCB adapter, ... It allows you to just swing the camera up or down. None of the others have it. The kowa isn't rubber coated. Optical excellent in all.

Been discussed many times before here. The only current known source for Fluorite crystal CaF2 is Canon Optron in Japan. Meopta is most likely using FK51A, a FLUORIDE-based GLASS from Schott Germany.

Perhaps Meoptaman could clear this one up once and for all.

Are you there Meoptaman?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back