• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there really an optical improvement of the Kowa 88A over the old 883? (1 Viewer)

Hello friends,

I'm deciding which spotting scope model to choose.
After many hours of reading this forum I am decided that the chosen one will be a Kowa.
I like the focusing system and the optical quality seems to be alpha level.
The Kowa 88 seems like a great balance between weight and usability.
However, I'm having a hard time finding comments on the improvements of the new Kowa 88A over the old but successful 883...

Money is important to me and it requires a significant effort, I even have access to a used Kowa 883 in perfect condition and a valid warranty to buy in person.

Used Kowa 883 + Te-11 Eyepiece + Case = €2,000
New Kowa 883 + TE-11 Eyepiece + Case = €2,700
New Kowa 88A + Te-11 Eyepiece + Case = €3,400

The big question is: How much does the new 88A model improve over the old 883?
From what I read here, it seems that the variations in the sample may be more decisive than the difference between both models.
In any case, it seems that the smart purchase in terms of value would be the used 883, what is your opinion?

Thanks for the advice
Greetings

The Kowa 883 was introduced around 2007 and gradually became accepted as one of the best scopes available. Optically it gave nothing away to the Swarovski ATX 85 and ATX 95 but was less expensive.
After such a long run many customers expect improvements, so Kowa gave it a minor facelift and capitalized on its popularity by increasing the price substantially.
Using magnesium alloy for all the body saved about 40 g and there were alleged improvements to coatings. I can only say that of all my optical instruments, my 883 purchased in 2017 shows the least internal reflections when viewed through the objective.
I agree that performance of the individual sample should be the deciding factor and, if you are unable to perform a star test, a good example would snap into focus in stable air conditions at 60x magnification.

John

There are two absolute cherries on the estate I am allowed to go birdwatching on -one of each - and the new scope is an absolute no from me.

If I were in your position? I'd buy the used and be ecstatic- because for near double the money the 88a is NOT even remotely close to being a worthwhile upgrade from what I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back