• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need comments on Zeiss EDF / Docter BGA 7x40 IF roof (1 Viewer)

Star Farmer,

.....Unfortunately, I'm turned off by the 6 SOA resolution. ....

Brock

Very understandable Brock. That's the key criteria I look for when dealing with astronomical telescopes.

Photographers pay more attention to contrast. That's what makes the highlights of their pictures stand out.

I am inclined to think that contrast has immediate appeal in binocular viewing. It gives immediacy to the overall picture, and greatly helps the acquisition of the target subject. That's probably the reason for my slight preference of the EDF over the Dialyt for general use.

Note the specification of resolution, which I take to mean what we call "magnification boosted resolution", removing the acuity of the eye from the measurement. Not many binoculars guarantee resolution, and it seems odd that what this one is guaranteeing is in fact rather poor: 6 arcsec for the 7x40, 5 arcsec for the 10x42. Admittedly, this guarantee is for the worst permitted resolution, but a top notch binocular would be twice that good. So, I can believe they aren't phase coated.

Ron

I've read that and foolishly ignored it....I'm not into arcsecond to begin with.. :'D I have to pay more attention about it...

thanks for the explanation mr.Harper..!:-O

Very understandable Brock. That's the key criteria I look for when dealing with astronomical telescopes.

Photographers pay more attention to contrast. That's what makes the highlights of their pictures stand out.

I am inclined to think that contrast has immediate appeal in binocular viewing. It gives immediacy to the overall picture, and greatly helps the acquisition of the target subject. That's probably the reason for my slight preference of the EDF over the Dialyt for general use.

hi Starfarmer, hi Brock..

nah, back to my previous discussion (in Leica thread) with Brock, why warmer hue can add contrast?
is that bacause our eyes more sensitive to red spectrum?

best regards
Galih

Last edited:
Longer wavelengths of light are absorbed. Shorter wavelengths are scattered. That's the bluish overcast you see especially in high moisture weather. The yellow tint filters out the scattered shorter wavelength photons.

Longer wavelengths of light are absorbed. Shorter wavelengths are scattered. That's the bluish overcast you see especially in high moisture weather. The yellow tint filters out the scattered shorter wavelength photons.

so, its like the "blue sky" mechanism right ?

and, thats why sunglasses with warmer color tone often recommended for high glare situation (like in bright daylight) "to cuts the glare"..because sunlight glare consists of scattered blue spectrum light, right ?

and thats why Steiner Safari binos have such coating to reduce glare, they said...;)

I get it now, thank you Starfarmer! :-O

Galih

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back