• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CZJ EDF 7x40 Roof Prism Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I have an old East German CZJ military EDF. The yellow tint is very strong but the overall picture is surprisingly bright and very clear. It is quite comfortable to look through even for longer periods. I like to use it especially in darker high forest environments observing deer.
It is beyond robust and not too bulky. Certainly something to be considered today if you are not looking for the latest and greatest. They can be had for cheap.

The official 63 page repair manual for the EDF 7x40 can be found at: NVA Instandsetzungsanleitung A 050/1/501 - Das Carl Zeiss Jena EDF 7x40
The individual pages are displayed, and the whole manual can be downloaded as a 19 MB PDF by clicking on the link at the end of the introduction.

The manual dates from 1982 and is of course in German (see an image of the front page). It includes detailed information and images and may provide further insight into the binocular.

John

Attachments

• Title page.jpg
    Title page.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 5
Does the glass darken from gamma or neutrons?
I don't understand why the tritium would be hazardous, unless they painted bare tritium and put the phosphor in the reticle lines. Usually both are encapsulated in a glass phial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back