• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Feeder (1 Viewer)

birds4phil

I've just got my first feeder out in my backyard, I love it! It's only been 3 days and during a harsh winter storm (single digit temperatures and 10 inches of snow). I have only seen a couple of Junco's picking up seeds underneath it so far. I must be patient :) I've read a number of times that having your feeder close to trees (10-20 feet) is ideal, but my issue is that I have no big trees in my backyard. Right now, I have Black Oil Sunflower Seed, a thistle feeder for finches, peanuts, and a suet cage. I have already bought a 2nd pole to separate the Thistle and the Suet away from the main feeder.

I know it can take weeks for birds to find a new feeder, maybe I'm just being impatient, but could my feeder be in a poor position for birds to find it? My neighbors have a couple of bigger trees, I have a trellace with some vines, a few bushes, and 2 smaller/baby trees. Right now, the pole is located near the deck for viewing from inside.

I think your local birds are just stuck somewhere inside a secluded yard and do not want to venture out until the blizzard stops. I think they will be out and about once there is sunshine on the snow.

Hi ya Phil and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Stay patient. The fact that you've got Juncos on the ground will not be missed by other birds. 9 our of 10 times it is always the Chickadees that hit a new feeder I've put up.

If no large trees, then perhaps put the feeders near bushes? Just somewhere, where hopefully, they can hide quickly when a BOP is around. Do keep us posted please ;)

Hi Phil

Yes, as others have said, you really need to be patient (in a year or two you'll be complaining they're eating you out of house and home LOL). It took many weeks for the birds to find my window feeders, now I get several species visit.

Sprinkling a little food on the ground seems to be attracting your Juncos, so I'm really sure it won't be long till other birds notice this and come to investigate.

I haven't put it out yet, temperatures today are supposed to be negative 12 F, with windchill getting to negative 35 F! Thursday of this week is supposed to be a low of 25, I think I'll try it then. As I type this, day 4, I just saw my first Black-Capped Chickadee! :) Landed on the pole, then the feeder, stuck it's head in the port, then flew away. Just checking things out I think. Junco's are here again this morning, too, after I sprinkled more Sunflower seeds in the snow.

With a yard list of 107 species and 9 feeders and 3 suet feeders, I can confirm that it is very addicting and expensive ;)

[...] As I type this, day 4, I just saw my first Black-Capped Chickadee! :) Landed on the pole, then the feeder, stuck it's head in the port, then flew away. Just checking things out I think.
Congrats to your first sight of the Black - capped Chickadee! I doubt that the bird was only checking out the feeder, tits often take a sunflower seed and seeking shelter in brushes where the feel safer.
Junco's are here again this morning, too, after I sprinkled more Sunflower seeds in the snow.
One snowfall and your food is covered wasting. I would rather put them in a ground feeder like this (but without legs) than sprinkle it in the snow. http://www.duncraft.com/common/images/products/large/2106_zoom.jpg
Jm2c

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back