• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying scope (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Carrying a astroscope

Has anyone tried carrying their Scope and Camera with something like a Black Rapid Strap?. I used to use one with a 300/2.8 lens (about the same weight as a Skywatcher 80ED) and it was very comfortable and easy to get at. I had an Arca lens plate attached to the lens and a Arca clamp attached to the BR strap - that way it was very quick and easy to attached the rig to a tripod. My only concern with the Skywatcher is if it is too long and cumbersome to carry in this way.

Attachments

• BR2.jpg
    BR2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 68
I have not used any of those. I use to carry my scope mounted on the tripod, tilted and aligned with the tripod legs and with tripod head tightened enough to avoid rotation. Similar as one would carry a spotting tube, but somewhat heavier.

I carry my scope and pod the same way as Tord does, it works well if you're on the move and like to switch locations without having to take anything apart. I do have an order placed for an Olivon Podtreck, thought it might be great for when one needs to walk longer distances or while taking the bicycle instead of a car. Will give my thoughts on it when I receive it, hope it handles the additional weight compared to a spotting scope well.

http://www.digiscopediary.co.uk/olivon-podtreck.html

I have not used any of those. I use to carry my scope mounted on the tripod, tilted and aligned with the tripod legs and with tripod head tightened enough to avoid rotation. Similar as one would carry a spotting tube, but somewhat heavier.

I carry my scope and pod the same way as Tord does, it works well if you're on the move and like to switch locations without having to take anything apart. I do have an order placed for an Olivon Podtreck, thought it might be great for when one needs to walk longer distances or while taking the bicycle instead of a car. Will give my thoughts on it when I receive it, hope it handles the additional weight compared to a spotting scope well.

http://www.digiscopediary.co.uk/olivon-podtreck.html
That's interesting guys, I used to carry my 300/2.8 already mounted on the tripod and slung over my shoulders some times but was thinking that the SW 80 set-up would be too long and cumbersome - I will give it a try.

I carry my 80/600 with the camera mounted on it, and my tripod, in a 70L backpack fit with two high density foam rubber tubes, one for the scope/camera and the other for the tripod. It takes me about one minute to set it up or break it down to move on. I feel much better carrying it that way than over my shoulder.

I carry my 80/600 with the camera mounted on it, and my tripod, in a 70L backpack fit with two high density foam rubber tubes, one for the scope/camera and the other for the tripod. It takes me about one minute to set it up or break it down to move on. I feel much better carrying it that way than over my shoulder.
Although I used to carry a 300/2.8 + 7D ready mounted on a tripod and slung over my shoulders I have just tried it at home with the scope + Camera and it feels unwieldy due to the length of the scope. I think I may have a look for a Backpack as well Dan - did you just buy an hikers type backpack or a pukka photographic one? (which would probably cost at least 6 times more).
I need to check out the dimensions but was thinking of something like THIS

That looks almost exactly like mine. Here is a picture:
IMG_0079_resize.jpg IMG_0080_resize.jpg
Usually I stick a piece of foam rubber between the tripod feet and the camera, or a sweater or something like that. Also, I keep my TC (TN) and extra extension tube in a little old leather TC case that fits in between the legs of the tripod.
This one is made by Northland. I went to the shop with the tripod to make sure it would fit in.

I would probably only want to carry the scope and Camera in the bag as I carry strap for my tripod plus the Gimbal head makes it a bit more difficult to all fit in.

The Olivon Podtreck arrived yesterday. I was really sceptical at first impression, thought there was no way this would hold the weight of this equipment safely. But after attaching the velcro straps to the legs and some sort of safety strap for the transportation it actually looked quite sturdy, then I put it on my back and was convinced. It's nice having both hands free for taking the bicycle or holding the binoculars. This kit probably isn't for everybody, if I would fall on the bicycle or something the gear is completely unprotected. A risk I'm willing to take. The bags do have enough space for the basic tools and accessories, will try to fit a thermos and some snacks later as well.

This is a first impression, I used it to walk to a dark place for stargazing yesterday and for a bike ride to shoot some birds today. Time will tell if this is something to keep.

Attachments

• 20121012-20121012_1128155.jpg
    20121012-20121012_1128155.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 130
The Olivon Podtreck arrived yesterday...
// snipped
Time will tell if this is something to keep.
Out of curiosity - how long time does it take to deploy the setup? Compared to having the scope and tripod separately stored in a rucksack as shown in previous posts.

If I walk with the legs half extended it's just a matter of getting out ot the shoulder straps and pulling out the remaining part of the legs, then I'm set. It takes perhaps about 30 seconds, don't think I gain much time compared to the other method but I think it's convenient so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back