• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"A little bit of bread and no che-e-e-e-se" (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
I am absolutely useless at recognising all but the most distinct of bird calls!

So, with a view to trying to get to the bottom of an id problem that I have posted elsewhere on the forum, but also to try mine the brains of BF members on birds in general (for the good of everyone, you understand ;) ) I'd be happy to get responses for any species.

One of the first bird calls I ever recognised was the Yellowhammer.

The description in the title is so-o-o-o good, that I couldn’t fail to know it first time I heard it as a youngster.

But, of course, it is also a distinct call – and difficult to confuse with anything else.

However, a lot of birds go "cheep".

Trouble is, one person's "cheep" is another's "seep" is another's "zip"!

Try as I might, I can translate almost none of the calls I have seen written in guides to what I hear in the field.

I recently met up with someone on my patch, who told me to keep an eye out for Woodlarks this year. I explained that I can not tell one lark from another by sight, and he pointed out that they say "tuloo, tuloo, tuloo".

When I went home, I listened to my birdcall CD… and they DO.

But I've never seen "tuloo, tuloo, tuloo" in a guide!

So… what do you hear when you hear a bird call?

(And my specific question is… what am I listening for to distinguish Marsh Tit from Willow Tit?!?!? I know it should be easy… but I can't do it!)

OK… open floor!

Tiki-trrk for Lapland Bunting.
Pee-wit for Lapwing.
Winge winge winge for most females. 5,4,3,2,1......

Birdman,
In my experience Marsh Tit seems much more vocal than Willow Tit. The pit-choo call of Marsh Tit is quite distinctive, as is the scolding...chick a dee dee...call.
Have recently seen just 1 Willow Tit (Ouse Washes), and this bird kept very quiet, possibly because it was on it's own.
There are a lot of Marsh Tits at Woodwalton Fen. These all seem very vocal.
As regards written vocal descriptions in field guides, I totally agree with you.....they are next to useless!!!
Dave.

CJW said:
Pee-wit for Lapwing.

You may want to italicise the word most there, just as a get out clause you understand! ;)

Willow Tit call (although it's a while since I've heard it) - Chi-cheecheechee. Quite 'grumpy' sounding.
Marsh Tit calls - normal is a sneezing Tsitchoo but the sometimes do a sort of 'Chickadeedee' type call that sounds somewhat more like a Willow Tit.

Quail - 'Wet my lips' is the classic mnemonic but probably only a bit helpful. 'Whip wuh-whip' is maybe better.

CJW said:
Pee-wit for Lapwing.

Yet more sexist rubbish ;)

My dad calls Lapwings Peewits.

Bearded Tit - Ping Ping

Is it me or does the Great Tit invent calls??

THe trick with bird calls/songs is to learn the common ones first, Robin ,Dunnock,Wren, Greenfinch etc.
Then the warblers arrive in spring and the fun really starts.Learning to identify the calls takes a long time but is invaluable in the field.
Phonetically written calls in guides can be misleading but that shouldn't be a problem coz we've got calls on this web site.
The collins Guide has a good representation of a Sedge Warbler:zruzru-trett zruzruzru trett psit trutrutru-purrrrrrrrurrr vi vi vi lululu
A real rap artist.

I was always told that woodpigeons sing
"My toe bleeds, Betty"
No good for sorting out Marsh and willow tits but quite good anyway!

I've always known lapwings as peewits.

I had an idea of producing a childrens book based on birdsong mnemonics (also involving a crow called Morris and a Heron called Frank since that's the call they make)
So I'm very interested in any that anybody has for UK species.

Woody

deboo said:
As regards written vocal descriptions in field guides, I totally agree with you.....they are next to useless!!!
Dave.
Descriptions can be used, if You already know what birds say.
In Finland Vanellus says kievit. Larus minutus says dääkkä-dääkkä.

If you know the old song (or even if you don't), Cetti's Warblers sing something rather like "Tea for two and toodle-oodle-oodle-oodle..." (etc). (Never quite worked anything out for the roulade that follows the opening).

Jason

Jason

I've always imagined Cetti's Warbler song as sounding like the 1812 Overture, for those familiar with it (the Cetti's and the Overture).

Fifebirder said:
I've always imagined Cetti's Warbler song as sounding like the 1812 Overture, for those familiar with it (the Cetti's and the Overture).
Try listening to Cretzschmar's (is that how you spell it?) bunting -Beethovens 5th (that's if I've not got my classical music mixed up). ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back