• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunbird or Spiderhunter in Penang Malaysia (1 Viewer)

TeamLeip

United States
I am still somewhat of a novice and so I am often times confused with bird ID. My method is to take a picture of the bird. Then I do an image search on goggle via the chrome browser. This same bird came back as a little spiderhunter or a Brown-throated Sunbird. My next step id to go to e-bird and look at the images and the range ands decide if google got it right. I am not sure either one is correct as the beak of the spider hunter is much larger than this birds beak (picture #1). The eye color seems off for the sunbird (picture #2) and there are tow of them that were flying together (picture #3) which I would think would be a male and a female. Help if ypou can, Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7269.JPG
    IMG_7269.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7276.JPG
    IMG_7276.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7277.JPG
    IMG_7277.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
I am still somewhat of a novice and so I am often times confused with bird ID. My method is to take a picture of the bird. Then I do an image search on goggle via the chrome browser. This same bird came back as a little spiderhunter or a Brown-throated Sunbird. My next step id to go to e-bird and look at the images and the range ands decide if google got it right. I am not sure either one is correct as the beak of the spider hunter is much larger than this birds beak (picture #1). The eye color seems off for the sunbird (picture #2) and there are tow of them that were flying together (picture #3) which I would think would be a male and a female. Help if ypou can, Thanks.
All female Ornate Sunbirds (recently split from Olive-backed) on account of white tipped tails.

Grahame

You could probably somewhat refine your search by using Merlin's Photo ID instead of Google Lens, or first determining the bird group (e.g. sunbirds and spiderhunters) and--then--going through all possible species at your location.

Remember you always need to independently confirm the app's ID because it sometimes happens to be very off, and especially when it throws up something rare (red circle)! It's a must in all cases, though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-173417_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216-173417_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240216-173424_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216-173424_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240216-173647_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216-173647_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 1
You could probably somewhat refine your search by using Merlin's Photo ID instead of Google Lens, or first determining the bird group (e.g. sunbirds and spiderhunters) and--then--going through all possible species at your location.

Remember you always need to independently confirm the app's ID because it sometimes happens to be very off, and especially when it throws up something rare (red circle)! It's a must in all cases, though.
Thanks for the tip I will try that right away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back