• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wintering hummingbird update (1 Viewer)

What a wonderful picture, Bob! She looks positively delighted to be posing for her breakfast!

I can't wait to see if she sticks around and picks up a mate!

I posted on another tread re: a book called A Hummingbird In My HOuse - by Arnette Heidcamp. She over-wintered a rufous in her greenhouse. Then I found a compliation of all her books called Hummingbirds - My Tiny Treasures on Amazon.com
My own experience with one that accidentally got inside my screened porch - I'd left the door open blocking its path to the h.feeder. It was frantically trying to fly out the screen. I went up to it and caught it in my hand (such a special feeling!) and took it outside to the feeder. It sat on my finger and drank and drank and then like a helicopter lifted off and flew away- fueled up!

Two years ago I lived in East Tx, where in August thru- Oct that yr I had 100's of rub-throats and put out gallons of sugar water. All the neighbors would hang over their fence to watch and all their feeders were vacant.....I think I mixed extra zap in the mixture. Any way it was great and they just buzzed around me like bee's while refilled the feeders!

Thanks Beverly, amasara and peligirl,

I wish we had a greenhouse :)
We have been using a 3 to 1 sugar water mix, plus another feeder with a mix of a commercial product used by zoos:Nektar Plus.
Having her winter over sure has been fun. I suggest everybody keep those feeders out late into fall. Cheers.bob

Attachments

• 18feb04o4.jpg
    18feb04o4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 201
Hi,

We do the same with the bottled spring water :)

Cheers,bob

LzyPhotographer said:
I find that when I use bottled spring water, instead of tap water... my feeders become quite popular with the hummingbirds. ;-)

Nice slideshow on your wintering Rufous f. Bobky. Thanks... hummingbirds remain my favorites after all the other birds I've digiscoped... I think they're the most amazing and endearing too.

Hello Forcreeks,

Thank you. I'll bet you get many varieties of hummingbirds in Oregon. As you know, they are so tiny it is difficult to get a good picture without a big zoom or digiscope. Post some pictures here when you get some visitors. Cheers,bob

Forcreeks said:
Nice slideshow on your wintering Rufous f. Bobky. Thanks... hummingbirds remain my favorites after all the other birds I've digiscoped... I think they're the most amazing and endearing too.

Bob, looking again at this splendid picture, I hope you'll enter it in March's photo comp! It seems like a winner to me! And with her posed so prettily on the MAN-MADE feeder, it surely fits the rules for this month!

Gee . . . I use 'way too many exclamation points, don't I?

Here's some of my dad's

Images were scaled down.

Attachments

• hummer02.JPG
    hummer02.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 190
  • hummer01.JPG
    hummer01.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 203
  • humming01.JPG
    humming01.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 199
you talking about my dad's pics?

If so, he thanks you from the bottom of his heart...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back