• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie - ED50 - Which eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

I have the 13-40 zoom and 20x MC Wide for mine.

I think for the visual user this combo maximizes utility, at least theoretically given resolution of the ED50 maxes out ~21x.

13x gives you the brightest possible view.
40x delivers the highest possible magnification.
20x Wide MC provides the max FoV while still not penalizing brightness in good light with its 2.5mm exit pupil.

For digiscoping, resolution seems to top out at ~19x for most current digital cameras.

Last edited:
The ED50 is a little thing that it works very well hand held.
Use a Grippa case or give it a photographer's pistol grip and you get a get up and go scope that can dispense with a tripod.
Admittedly, if the plan is for extended observation, a sea watch for instance, a tripod is useful. For most other occasions, the speed and convenience of hand holding make it the preferred option, imho.

Interesting. I think I am going to pop (spend hours) into Bristol Cameras before or after Christmas to have a play with a couple of these stabilising suggestions. I would love to do away with a tripod for the time being as I very much like to keep on the move when im out. Appreciate all your comments guys, truly helpful.

Cant wait to get my hands on one now!

Here's my two bits...

I have all the wide EPs, DS and MC, as I have both an ED50 and an ED82. Initially I thought 27x was the kind on the ED50. Over time, I prefer either the MC20w or the DS16. The wider, brighter view and larger exit pupil, overall, are better for me and I think better suited for a 50mm scope. You might be surprised at what even 16x delivers however.

Regarding mounts, I'd go with a light tripod with a small/medium ballhead (Markins Q3 in my case). I find the tripod more freeing than either a hand-held setup or a monopod because it is self-standing. I adjust the clevis where the legs go into the hub of the tripod (Benro c158) to be firm enough to hold the legs in this position, and carry it on my shoulder with the legs splayed. This way I can set it down immediately on any ground and my hands are then free to, say, use my binoculars.

Nothing beats the view through a scope mounted on a tripod. Even the lightest tripod hugely trumps a monopod or any other system for the steady view.

Lastly, the ED50 really is a great scope and even mounted on a light tripod and head makes for a rig that can easily be toted all day and anywhere.

Last edited:
Personally I have discovered that I am getting a lot more use from the ED50 since I have been using it handheld with the Grippa case. I carry it in a bag on a belt and can forget about it unless I want a closer look at something. It takes a matter of seconds to get it out and into action.

Many people will prefer to use a light tripod (especially for extended use) or a monopod but that is the great thing about the little Nikon: it is suitable for each of these uses and you can choose whichever one is best for your requirements at any particular time. The same goes for the different eyepieces. It is a little gem of a scope. :t:

Ron

it is suitable for each of these uses and you can choose whichever one is best for your requirements at any particular time. The same goes for the different eyepieces. It is a little gem of a scope.

Ron

I wholeheartedly agree on both counts. Case in point, I just picked up the 40x WA and am impressed with the image it provids both in the ED50 at 40x and especailly in the Theron Mag82 at 75X.

One digiscoping issue - if you have the GF1, you can use the LVF1 electronic viewfinder with it. Much better when digiscoping than using the LCD screen, which is hard to see in bright sunlight. Also if you need glasses for reading (like me!) you have to put them on to look at the screen. The LVF1 has built in dioptre setting, so it matches your eyes.

So far I use the 13-30x zoom that came with it, but I have never had the chance to try the wide-angle eyepieces.

For my tripod I use Joby's Gorillapod SLR Zoom. I tried a knockoff product but it was unusable. With it I use a small-ish ball head from Slik I think; don't recall the model.

The neat thing about the Gorillapod is that in addition to being a (very) short tripod or a flexible clinging mount point, it can also be contorted into a hand-holding apparatus, with one leg sticking out as a handle and the other two pressing against the the body. This provides workable stability, especially at the lower magnifications. When I bought the scope, I never imagined using it to look at small birds flitting around up in the trees, but it works quite well for that.

I do intend to eventually get a proper tripod for things like long views of waterfowl flocks. I often find myself seeking out picnic tables by the water for better scanning than hand-holding can provide.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back