• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 SLC HD vs. 8x42 Ultravid HD (1 Viewer)

308CAL

WHO HAS SEEN BOTH? THOUGHTS??

SLC HD:
Field of View 408 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 18.5 mm
Close Focus 6 feet
Weight 28.5 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.85 x 4.7 inches

ULTRAVID HD:
Field of View 389 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 15.5 mm
Close Focus 9.8 feet
Weight 27.9 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.6 x 4.8 inches

WHO HAS SEEN BOTH? THOUGHTS??

SLC HD:
Field of View 408 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 18.5 mm
Close Focus 6 feet
Weight 28.5 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.85 x 4.7 inches

ULTRAVID HD:
Field of View 389 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 15.5 mm
Close Focus 9.8 feet
Weight 27.9 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.6 x 4.8 inches

Side-by-side for an hour.
Overall, both are excellent binoculars.

Build: excellent in both. I own and love the Ultravid styling/handling.
Weight: equal
Focus: equal
Sweet Spot: virtually equal...both are not razor-sharp off-center.
Color/Contrast/Sharpness/Brightness: equal
Close focus: SLC (SLC may have a slightly larger sweet spot which affects close focus sharpness/enjoyment)
CA control: SLC (small difference but I found it). I think the Leica HD exhibits minor improvement whereas the SLC is better than previous SLC models.
Eye Relief: SLC (obvious and it may be critical to some users)
Overall view: both excellent.

If I had to choose between these two models I'd probably go home with the Ultravid HD. There's just something about the "Leica view" I really enjoy. The SLC 8X42 is nice, but it just didn't WOW me.

Note:
SLC 8X42 vs. EL Swarovision 8.5X42
I'd go home with the new EL every time, no questions asked. My wife, a long time SE 8X32 user, had exactly the same reaction.

Last edited:
I have a completely different opinion. For me there is no doubt - the Swarovski binoculars is the better of those two!

The SLC HD is clearer, brighter, sharper, have higher contrast, wider field of view, dealing with chromatic aberration better, more generous eye relief, better in terms of close focus, etc...and for me it also feels more comfortable in my hands than the Leica Ultravid HD does.

My experience is based, however, that I only have tested the Leica in and outside of a store. The feeling when I lifted the SLC HD to my eyes after having tested the Leica was: WOW what a lot better this is!

That's what I think.. :)

I have the 7x42 ultravid HD's are they are pristine. The image is electric almost looks artificial the colors jump out. I feel it is sharper than the slc neu 7x42 and more neutral. I didn't like the SV focus and was curious if slc hd focus was the same? I also prefer leica"s compactness.

7x42hd

I recently bought the 7x42HD and am very happy with them. I did look at the Swaro, they too are excellent, but the Leica felt more comfortable, they are more compact and I love the view.I've had them out for hours at -10 C and the focus is unaffected by the cold, this is important where I live in Canada.
I have the 7x42 ultravid HD's are they are pristine. The image is electric almost looks artificial the colors jump out. I feel it is sharper than the slc neu 7x42 and more neutral. I didn't like the SV focus and was curious if slc hd focus was the same? I also prefer leica"s compactness.

if the SLC HD eyecups, focuser, and click stops (if you call them that) are like the SV than even more reason i owuld prefer the UVID HD

if the SLC HD eyecups, focuser, and click stops (if you call them that) are like the SV than even more reason i owuld prefer the UVID HD

But you have not tried the SLC HD, right?

The SLC HD is not just a new version of the SLCnew - actually it is a completely different binocular in many ways. The focus is smooth (even in low temperatures). The only thing is that the focus wheel is slightly slower in one direction than the other. But the difference is (at least on my copy) small..and in practice it´s negligible.

The Leica HD is of course also a nice pair of binoculars - it's just that it is not my "cup of tea"!

Swaro SLC edges it...

I received a pair of Swarovski 10x42 SLC HDs for my 40th birthday recently am completely blown away by them.

Did a side-by-side against a friends 10x42 HD ultravids on the first day in fading light, it was obvious that both were outstanding binoculars, but both of us agreed that the SLCs just edged it in terms of image brightness, clarity and sharpness, particularly in low light conditions.

I personally love the SLC's compact, rugged design too -- I find it much better for me than the elongated, double-hinged EL Swarovision. I like the Leica design as well -- but for me the SLC wins here too. They're perfectly balanced, the new magnesium body means they're lighter than previous models and are a joy to use, even for extended periods.

When looking at high end bins I'd pretty much whittled it down to Leica Ultravid HD over Swarovski ELs -- largely because of the handling and form factor. In the meantime the SLC HD was released, and changed the game somewhat.

My wife took advice from birding friends, local wildlife professionals and dealers before ultimately opting for the SLC HD.

I'm more than delighted with her choice... absolutely amazing bins! I have a review of the Swarovski SLC 10x42 HD up on my blog, if anyone's interested.

In terms of making a choice both are superb binoculars. If you get a chance try and use them side by side for a while, even if it is only for five minutes outside a store. When you're shopping for optics at this level a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

If the SLC HD's are clearer and sharper than ULTRAVID HD's thats saying something! MY UVIDS MAKE ME FEEL LIKE IM NOT EVEN LOOKING THROUGH GLASS, i feel like I am there.

its hard to believe that people see brightness differences in elite level binocs minus the ZEISS FL series which are the brightest do to the ABK prism and zeiss engineering.
Most people cannot see brightness differences 3% or less which means if the UVIDS transmitted 90%, most people couldnt tell the difference between tat and one that transmsits 92-93%.... I dont see major birghtness differences in alpha binos, its more sweet spot, center sharpness, edge sharpness, FOV, eye relief, color saturation, contrast, bias, etc....

Since there wont be an SLC HD 7x42, I guess the UVID HD 7x42 only has the FL and the EDG to compete with in the alpha class.

ANYway thanks for all of the feedback and input

On the Swaro tech specs it says the SLC HD 8x42 is 91% IN LIGHT TRANSMISSION. people typically cant see differences less than 3% so if the SLC HD is brighter noticeably it would mean:

1) the UVID is less than 88% which I doubt
2) THe SLC HD is much better with contrast

Could be a contrast thing I guess... whatever it is we both agreed that the Swaros had the brighter, sharper image in low light. Under different conditions who's to say the UVIDs wouldn't have edged it.

When you're shopping at this level I guess it's all pretty subjective -- whatever you choose you're going to end up with a kick ass set of bins. I'm sure I'd have been equally thrilled with a pair of Ultravids.

Swarovksi says that overdrive past infinity in 8x42HD SLC is 6 diopters, which is great news.

I know EL also 6 diopters of overdrive, which I find sufficient (versus only 4 Diopters that Leica offers, which is not enough for me)

Power-wise, I think I prefer 8x over 8.5x of the EL...
Case in point, I like the old Trinovid 8x42 more than the 8.5x42 EL. Razor-sharp with a relatively low power is a great combination.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back