• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid 7x42 HD+ vs Noctivid 8x42 (2 Viewers)

As a general answer to the thread..... If you are not delighted with either the Ultras or the Nocs, both incredible binoculars, that would be unbelievable.
My advice is don't directly compare, jumping one to the other.
Do one for half hour or so, then put it down, and do the other for about the same. Ergonomics come into play then... which is also important.
My 8x20 Ultra's look amazing, and if I ONLY use those, then I am blown away. If I quick compare with my 8x32's.... then they are left wanting a bit.
Don't forget how competent your Trinovids are. Cracking binocular and superb value.

And it came to my mind that depth of field is an even more advantage at higher age because the eye's ability to change focus becomes more limited.
I think it may be a contributing factor to why I find my 6x32 so comfortable.
There's no disputing that lower magnifications show significantly better depth of field than higher, but through binoculars the better accommodadion of younger users is of negligible advantage.
If you view an object at 10 m distance with naked eyes or through glasses then the difference to an object at 5 m is a mere 0,1 dioptres, below the threshold of detection.
To put things into perspective, the older ones among us with limited accommodation need an additional correction of around +2 dioptres for reading distances.
However, through a 7x binocular focussed at 10 m you would need to accommodate by 5 dioptres to see the 5 m object clearly without refocussing.
A 10x binocular would need 10 dioptres of accommodation for the same exercise, an impossibility for any adult..

John

I've also been considering an Ultravid 7x42 HD+ but the prices have indeed shot up in the UK making the Retrovid look a bit of a bargain.
There is the slow and patient method, and while I thought it would be a long time before I was able to get the 7x42 HD+, one showed up here on the forum for less than the Retrovid tends to sell for, used even.

There is the slow and patient method, and while I thought it would be a long time before I was able to get the 7x42 HD+, one showed up here on the forum for less than the Retrovid tends to sell for, used even.
Nice one.

I'll inevitably get a pair at some stage as 7 is definitely the magic number for me. I'm hoping they'll be a bit of an improvement over the Retrovid in the CA department, plus they are of course fully waterproof.

I don't think I'll be paying nearly two grand for them though so I'll bide my time till one turns up at a good price.

The focuser is a little slow but not bad, it’s very comfortable. Eyecups are a little small but again no issues for me or friends that used them. The view is very comparable to the 42UV, some actually prefer the Retro‘s. The image field stop is slightly more pronounced and maybe a little more color saturation. It has a little more edge distortion than the UV, but doesn’t bother me, and possibly a tad more CA under certain conditions. Simply a gorgeous image quality and such a beautiful piece of equipment.

The cunundrum now is that the UV’s are showing up at great discounts and only a few hundred more than the retros, and the retros have been discontinued. So it’s a tough choice.
Thanks! I'm definitely considering ordering the 7x35 to try now as well. Are the eyecups on them removable? I've never encountered pull-up eyecups before. I consider removable eyecups a big plus to allow me to give the oculars a proper clean.

I hate to throw another hat into the ring BUT... If it were me I might lean toward a new Trinovid(Retrovid) 7X35. I have both the UVHD+ 7X42 and the Trinovid 7X35 and I really use the 7X35 more. It's only real shortcoming is it not completely waterproof but you have the Trinovid 8X42 you can use in bad weather. The 7X35 Is lighter, handles better, and will save you a few dollars.

fullsizeoutput_1183.jpeg
I’ll add to Chilli’s excellent suggestion, your 2012-2015 Trinovids are real sleepers. Current Trinovids are viewed as an entry level Leica and are priced accordingly. Very good Leica optics, but clearly a level below the Ultravids. Somehow they slipped up in 2012 and built a too good Trinovid for cheap. My buddy has a 8x42 2015 Trinovid and I can’t see any difference compared to my 8x42 Ultravid. It’s slightly heavier, aluminum versus magnesium body, doesn’t have the hydrodura coating, but it’s still waterproof.

I also own the 7x35 Retrovid and it’s all I’ve used for the last year. I live in a relatively dry Montana climate, so the lack of waterproofing is no big deal to me.

Largely the same kind of experience here and I've been torn back and forth over whether to get rid of the HD+ or not, because there's absolutely no way I'm getting rid of the BN.
Interesting.... I tested all three....the BN, new Trinovid, and HD Ultravid. All available at once in the shop. I came away with the BN, serviced by Leica. Such a nice binocular with the best ergonomics of all three, for me at least.
The Ultravid is a superb binocular no question, but was two and a half times as much money for virtually no viewing advantages, and worse feeling in the hands.
BN's are superb (y)

Nigel Grantham, post 28,
You have to be quick, since Leica will stop making the Retrovid binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel
Hello Gijs,

Is there now a reliable source that confirms the discontinuation of the Retrovid?
Here in Germany they are still available everywhere and can even be reordered?

Andreas

I used to own the same 8x42 Trinovid 2012-2015 model. It was very nice !

If you're going to buy a new Ultravid make sure you get a 2022 or 2023 model to ensure you have Leica's recent updated coatings.
I use a 2022 Trinovid HD 8x32 which shows more natural colors IMO compared to my old Trinovid and my old 2014 Ultravid HD+.

Back when I had the Uvid+ I compared it to a Swaro CL 8x30 (1st gen) and noted the obviously warmer (more yellow) colors in the Leica.
Recently, I compared my Trinovid HD 8x32 to my Swaro CL 8x30 (1st gen) and didn't see such an obvious difference in color balance.

A while back I also compared my Trinovid HD to Nikon Monarch HG 830. There was a dramatic difference here with the HG looking obviously warmer (yellow). The Trinovid showed a more transparent/clear image IMO.

Last edited:
I used to own the same 8x42 Trinovid 2012-2015 model. It was very nice !

If you're going to buy a new Ultravid make sure you get a 2022 or 2023 model to ensure you have Leica's recent updated coatings.
I use a 2022 Trinovid HD 8x32 which shows more natural colors IMO compared to my old Trinovid and my old 2014 Ultravid HD+.

Back when I had the Uvid+ I compared it to a Swaro CL 8x30 (1st gen) and noted the obviously warmer (more yellow) colors in the Leica.
Recently, I compared my Trinovid HD 8x32 to my Swaro CL 8x30 (1st gen) and didn't see an such an obvious difference in color balance.

A while back I also compared my Trinovid HD to Nikon Monarch HG 830. There was a dramatic difference here with the HG looking obviously warmer (yellow). The Trinovid showed a more transparent/clear image IMO.
Thanks for the advice! How do you determine the year of production, is it on the box or via the serial number?

Thanks for the advice! How do you determine the year of production, is it on the box or via the serial number?
I called Leica to find out.

My Trinovid HD serial# begins with 22. I wonder if the first 2 numbers of the serial indicate the production year in the Trinovid HDs. I asked Leica US but they don't know. The guy said I'd have to ask Leica Germany that question.

Yesterday a few of us gathered with 7x42, 8x42 and 10x42 Ultravids, all latest plus models as well the 8x42 Noctivid. I’ll leave out thoughts on the 10x to stay on topic. The 8x42 UV and Nocs have more similarities than true differences. Both have that great Leica warm saturated color image, the UV slightly more so. We could notice some differences , improvements in edge correction, larger FOV and sweet spot in the nocs.

The real differences of course are between the 7x42 UV and the other 8x42’s, although it still has that Leica image richness that many of us love about Leica, the 7x UV is almost like another binocular in its image feel. Even with its smaller FOV it still feels more immersive, the DOF is very pleasing and immediately evident, and of course the calmness and ease of holding steady all make it feel different. To me it’s much easier to decide between the Nocs and the UV in 8x imo, as long as the additional weight is not an issue , I choose the Nocs. That being said I could spend a lifetime with this one 7x42 UVHD+ and never feel I’m missing anything optically.

Once the others left I pulled out the Swarovski 8x32 EL SV to compare to the UV 7x. The shocking thing was there was less veiling glare in the Swaro than both 8x42 Leica’s 😲🤔.

Paul

How do you determine the year of production, is it on the box or via the serial number?
I think the date of production is on a sticker inside the warranty card. I cannot make much sense of Leica's serial numbers. My 2020 sample starts with 16 for example and it says Made in Germany on them, same with my 2016 sample. If you want a pair of Ultavids of recent production, look for a Made in Portugal sample. FWIW I don't see a difference between my 2016 (8x32), 2020 (7x42) and 2022 (10x42) Ultravids that I would put down to different coatings. I did notice a difference between my 2014 (10x32 non +) and the others mentioned above, all of which are HD +. The newer ones seem brighter, clearer, whiter and sharper than the 2014 sample.

Thanks! I'm definitely considering ordering the 7x35 to try now as well. Are the eyecups on them removable? I've never encountered pull-up eyecups before. I consider removable eyecups a big plus to allow me to give the oculars a proper clean.

Hello Nigel
When I look at the operating instructions for the 7x35 on the Leica homepage I can't find any information about it. They don't appear to be removable.

About the Ultravid 7x42:
maybe that will help a little. But I don't have the glass anymore. The distortion was a little too strong for me. Nevertheless, the Ultravid series is always highly recommended. Robust and durable without being prone to failure.
Dominique

I’ve never tried a Noctovid but own 7x42 UVHD and Trinovid BN, IMO the difference is not that big, actually i like the view and ergonomics better in the BN. The UVHD is lighter and brighter though. If you can find a good specimen of the BN for a nice price it’s worth trying one. The same goes for the Trinovid 7x35 that i have with Uppendahl prisms and 150 m FOV, if you are patience you can still find them in good condition. Good optics don’t have to be expensive. Maybe the latest and greatest are brighter but i find my BN and Trinovid still 100% adequate for my needs and also the fact that you have a piece of optical history in your hands that still delivers make it extra fun. For me that is, so highly subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back