• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying an antbird (1 Viewer)

rickbking

Hi,
Dec 28, 2010: I just came back from CR with a photograph of a bird that I’m having a hard time identifying. I was near Ciudad Colon, which is about 10? miles west of San Jose.

I was able to get a very good photo with just a Panasonic Lumix - it has a zeiss lens - so even with an absolutely complete and clear photo I don’t know what it is. My best guess is some version of a bare-crowned antbird. I attached a photo, and I have others.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Copy of P1000556.jpg
    Copy of P1000556.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 73
Thanks; without a doubt a lesser ground-cuckoo. I made an assumption because of the blue (what I thought was bare) area around the eye that looks what a lot of antbirds have ...

Thanks; without a doubt a lesser ground-cuckoo. I made an assumption because of the blue (what I thought was bare) area around the eye that looks what a lot of antbirds have ...

You would think an eye-ring like that would be indicative of something selectively following ground insects... but no-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o. They had to lump it with the cuckoos.

At least it had the good sense to be as uncommon as an antbird.

Hi,
Dec 28, 2010: I just came back from CR with a photograph of a bird that I’m having a hard time identifying. I was near Ciudad Colon, which is about 10? miles west of San Jose.

Good picture, Rickbking. Cool eye patch on that bird. It seems a little east of the range in G&D. If there is some kind of range expansion going on, it gives me hope I may see one in Alajuela in January.
Leaving snow and cold behind this afternoon; listening to Howlers and Clay-colored Robins by Friday evening -

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back