• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush ID? North Carolina (1 Viewer)

PeteQuad

I got this on a trail at the summit of Mount Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi. Maybe it is impossible to ID this based on the photo, but I thought I'd give you guys a shot. I thought it was a Hermit Thrush when I saw it, can anyone confirm or deny that?

Attachments

• IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 70
From that photo I'll say "very probably a thrush" - I can rule out lots of other birds, and what I can see (plus habitat and pose) fits well with thrush. Hermit is a reasonable first guess - there's nothing to contradict that. But to confirm Hermit I'd want to see a color contrast between the tail and the mantle, and this photo is too dark for good color and I don't see the tail at all.

PS I'm pretty sure Barbeau Peak (8,500 ft) is east of the Mississippi.

From that photo I'll say "very probably a thrush" - I can rule out lots of other birds, and what I can see (plus habitat and pose) fits well with thrush. Hermit is a reasonable first guess - there's nothing to contradict that. But to confirm Hermit I'd want to see a color contrast between the tail and the mantle, and this photo is too dark for good color and I don't see the tail at all.

PS I'm pretty sure Barbeau Peak (8,500 ft) is east of the Mississippi.

Except for Swainson's thrush which is still coming through on migration.

It was definitely a Thrush, as I saw it briefly with my binos. I thought I heard the Hermit's churt sound but I wasn't sure and Swainson's was the other strong contender for me. Being on top of that mountain though, I wasn't sure what other species I could find. For all I know, there could be Bicknell's up there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back