• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID suggestions for North Carolina USA sighting (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
I had a brief, 30 seconds give or take, glance today at a bird here in the Piedmont section of North Carolina in the USA that I'd never seen before that I'm trying to ID. I didn't have a camera with me, nor did I have time to get my phone out. It would have been through a window and screen in either case.

It was on our suet ball feeder with some smaller birds in the area. It caught my eyes because it seemed to have to be constantly moving its wings and body in an effort to be able to stay on the feeder.

I would describe it as a longish, trim-bodied bird, light brown to grayish brown, with a long slender tail. Long enough of a tail that it gave me the impression the tail was almost as long, if not as long, as its body, not counting the head. The tail had what appeared to have a band of that same body color along the length of it's tail, taking up about 2/3s of it's width. Then on either side of that band was what looked like a narrower white band on each side, running the entire length.

It appeared to have a long, sharply pointed beak.

That's all I was able to see and remember before it flew off.

The closest thing I've found so far that is remotely close is a Curve-billed Thrasher, but from what I've seen, I'm out of the usual range for that. So, I'm asking if anyone has any thoughts and/or suggestions given what I was able to see and pass along to you.

All advice will be appreciated.

Northern mockingbird
Thank you! You were right. I took your response, looked at the Northern Mockingbird. While I'd heard them for years, I'd never seen one that I remember in all my years. Now, I can say I have.

Again, Thanks!
I appreciate your help!

Barney

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back